Discuss BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Electrical Installation in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Socket Man

Hello one & all...

Does anybody in this forum have any advice regarding the BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Electrical Installation (delivered via distance learning with ICS)?

Is this course the equivalent of the 2330 as I am led to believe?

Many Thanks

Hi,

I'm also interested in this. I was reading through the forum and I noticed that some member said you could use this to gain an NVQ (I assume a level 3 NVQ). I just wanted to ask about how you go about getting the NVQ Level 3 once you complete this BTEC course? Does it cost anything to do so, or do I have to register somewhere? Has anyone done this? Will doing this register me as an electrician?

Hi guys I am doing this one off my own back as an update as my original apprenticeship and exams were over 30 years ago. My company do not require at present JIB card holders but I suspect it's only a matter of time before they do so I was going to have this at the ready (providing I get through it of course). Finding it a bit of a slog especially as the course content refers to 16th Edition and I'm writing my assignments in latest BS7671 and referencing back to 16th as well. I think I'll be ok with the theory but the calculations could prove a bit tricky as the course content doesn't seem too clear in that department - I seem to be getting the model questions and answers wrong but there is no working out so I don't know why (unless they are wrong, which I am beginning to suspect). This was one department I hoped they'd be clear on as I only scraped through by my bare teeth as a pup.

When I spoke to a college and NIC assessor he said this qualification would be ok to get my card along with my experience, the 17th and 2391 exams. When I went through training to get my Part P with NAPIT I was told by a JIB assessor my qualifications may be too old to count towards a current card, hence me doing this. Good luck with your studies.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I spoke to a college and NIC assessor he said this qualification would be ok to get my card along with my experience, the 17th and 2391 exams. .

unfortunately the advice you were given is duff.
the jib will not recognise the btec towards your card.

i know this because even though i have a gold card , my btec diploma in electrical was ignored for the grading assessment and is not printed on the back with my other quals.
forget whatever the nic tell you , contact the jib direct for further guidance.

Thanks for that - you live and learn. I'll carry on with it nonetheless and if the JIB do come knocking I'm happy to go down the road of being assessed by them in their place on their time. :coolgleamA:

dont get me wrong , btec quals are well respected and i enjoyed doing mine , but.......

they are not competancy based in a working environment , hence why jib wont count them.
see it through though , theres other avenues once in a job.

Can I assume that the foregoing counts for the Edexcel BTEC in Electrical Installation Advanced Level 3 Certificate
which at 37 points is in level 3 on the current NQF scale which seems to be a diploma level?

Good to know it is well respected.

It costs £450 - £560 to do.
Are there any other good starter courses you can do without working with an electrical contractor?
( Other than those mentioned above. )

Reply to BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Electrical Installation in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net