Discuss builder needs advice on what minimum requirements required in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adomakin

I have a guy thats just started with us who used to work for a father and son electrical firm. The father and son were part p trained and they would get this guy to carry out a lot of the work and then test it themselves etc and issue the certificate.

He has now come to work for me. He is more than capable of carrying out full first and second fix electrics in complex high end extensions and new builds, new board installs etc but has no qualifications, so I can't use him as I would like to.

What are the minimum requirements for him to be able to carry out all my electrical work? Can he train to a certain level, carry out the first/second fix and then I employ someone who is Part P registered to test the work?
We only work in the domestic/residential sector, no commercial stuff at all.

thanks in advice,

Andy

Under the Part P rules the person signing off the work, HAS to be the person who designed, installed and tested, so employing a Part P sparky to test work is a non starter I'm afraid.

Suggest you get the chap you 'd like to use to call Elecsa and see what he would need to do to get his experience etc up to Part P "standard" so he could join a scheme.

my minimum requirements are around £400 :)

he only needs his 17th edition cert to become competant enough to join a scheme , which any chump can pass , so why not enroll him with a D.I. scheme and buy some test-gear so he can install , test & notify all himself ?
seems pointless to train him up and still get someone else in to sign off the jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The non qualified sparky need to get part p registered why don't you invest in him I'm sure he's cheaper than the sparks you don't use anymore

He doesn't need any qualifications to do the work, he just needs competence. How you prove competence without any quals is another matter. He will however as said earlier, need to have the 17th as a minimum to join one of the clubs.

I have also had a recent conversation with our C&G EV, he informed me that the clubs, and the IET are getting themselves organised, and are trying to get an Electricians register together (along the lines of Gas safe), and to be on it you will need have this that and the other.

Lets see what happens.

Cheers...........Howard

I have also had a recent conversation with our C&G EV, he informed me that the clubs, and the IET are getting themselves organised, and are trying to get an Electricians register together (along the lines of Gas safe), and to be on it you will need have this that and the other.

Lets see what happens.

Cheers...........Howard

that sounds like bad news to me.
any recommendations from the NIC usually involve profit rather than whats best for the industry.
Was the JIB in on this consultation Sirkit ? they are the organisation closest to having a register of standard.
as an independant authority its the only club worth getting into IMO.

Thanks for everyone's replies!
please excuse my ignorance but what are these 'clubs' you talk about?!
Are you talking about clubs like the niciceiceeiecie?
if so, which in everyones opinion is the best club to join?
And how about costs?
Where would my man train for the 17th edition?
How about the testing equipment? Is this costly?
Sorry for all the questions, but clearly this place is full of very helpful people!

Thanks for everyone's replies!
please excuse my ignorance but what are these 'clubs' you talk about?!
Are you talking about clubs like the niciceiceeiecie? and napit or elecsa
if so, which in everyones opinion is the best club to join? pay your money take your pick
And how about costs? £500 per year - ish
Where would my man train for the 17th edition? any good local college
How about the testing equipment? Is this costly? around £500 for brand new kit.
Sorry for all the questions, but clearly this place is full of very helpful people!

adomakin, just one addition to biff55's answers. Your choice of scheme ie NICEIC, Napit or elecsa is as outlined by biff, but the scheme which is requested and recognised ( for good or ill) is the NICEIC. Customers will quite often ask for an NICEIC certificate, others are equivalent but this is the one most widely known. So if the qualification criteria and price are broadly similar you may wish to bear this in mind.

This time next year there will likely be change to part pants that will encorage the use of third party testing,exactly what you ask for

The conclusion to that scenario is that many will jump the gun(if they are not already doing so)and sign off the work,(which is technically illegal)but who gives a hoot anyway,certainly not the local authorities gov or the scams

You could also do like most foriegn enterprises who do electrical work in England/Wales and register "yourself" as a competent enterprise,he could then become your Qualifying supervisor,who you can replace if you so wish and retain yuor registration

If you do enrol on one of the scams,you may chose the Niceic,because so many idiots in local government, insurances, landlords etc tend to think that its the assurance of a certain high standard,which it most certainly is not

In reality.its domestic installer scheme(especially)is no different to Napit or Elecsa, it is usually easier to join the Niceic because they require the very minimum permitted by the competent person scheme criteria (which nobody ever fails to achieve in any of them)

One advantage the Niceic will have,they use the qualified supervisor system,so once you have him registered as your QS,you can employ anyone,irrelevant of any skill,to do your electrical work (they may never have picked up a screwdriver in their lives,but that happens to be ok with that quality organisation)

Do you notice how the Niceic makes a mockery of this trade.using a system meant for large works and employing that system in the domestic sector

that sounds like bad news to me.
any recommendations from the NIC usually involve profit rather than whats best for the industry.
Was the JIB in on this consultation Sirkit ? they are the organisation closest to having a register of standard.
as an independant authority its the only club worth getting into IMO.

Dont know Biff, but if i get anymore info i will post it.

Cheers...........Howard

Reply to builder needs advice on what minimum requirements required in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net