Discuss Building a false floor for the new van. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I recently sold my Renault Trafic as it had done 214,000 miles and I also wanted something more economical.

I bought the Citroen Berlingo LWB. A very nice van to drive, more like a car than a van. However, I had to take out roughly half of the stuff I had had in the Renault as the berlingo was not big enough. Everyday I had to plan for each job and make sure I had the bits on the van for that individual job, plus it was still an absolute jumble in the back of the van. Not a good way to work if you want to try and limit your stress throughout your working day.

I tried to get a quote for someone to build a false floor. he didn't get back to me (I estimate it would have been around £700), so I built it myself.

Days and days of thinking about the design and 2 days to make. I'm very slow as I spend half the time pondering on how to utilise every inch and also avoid future problems, plus I had a few beers on the go and some Bob Dylan to help.

I love the finished product! Maybe not as pretty as a professional would have done it, but I reckon I gave it a lot more thought than they would have done and probably got some extra little bits that they wouldn't have done. (e.g. the extra shelf above the ladder to store conduit, capping, broom etc, all the bits that really get in the way when just lying on the van floor). Just need to fit the racking now!

20240310_161414.jpg 20240310_164513.jpg 20240311_095751.jpg

First thing I saw was the pics, and thought " tht was either careful measurement or sheer luck, just getting his new Ikea wardrobe into his van, to get it home".
Looks good, and not dissimilar to something I used to have in my half mini van trailer. I'd consider carpeting the top, to help stop things sliding around, and possible seal the edges to stop small objects falling down into an inaccessible space.

Will be Masterseal in this van for the new, discerning client base.
Blimey, I just cough at those prices and move on. I wonder if anyone actually buys them. Perhaps, they are amazing in some way and I am actually missing out.

Very nice. I have done similar with my berlingo enterprise, but with 2 drawers instead of one, plus some simple racking up the side. Ladders I strap to the ceiling. What runners did you use for the drawers?
Thanks PM.

I just used some heavy duty runners I found on ebay. 20-60'' Pair Heavy Duty Drawer Runners Full Extension Ball Bearing Slide w/ Lock | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325296131510?var=514180280676 , they seem to work ok, but I have a feeling the locking mechanism could prove to be a right pain in the future when it decides to play up and I can't pull the draw out. I do like the fact it locks into place though, so there is no movement when driving. It would be interesting to see some pictures of yours if you fancy popping some on, indeed anyone's van storage solutions, small bits like tube holders or large racking system's. it would all be interesting and useful to see.

I'm determined to make work run as smoothly as possible and a well organised van is probably one of the main priorities.

I built the draw, so I could get the size exactly as I wanted to accommodate 4 of the bins I use. I put the least used items in there, with the very least used at the back. Paying someone to do this may have been a lot quicker, but I don't believe the end result would have been as useful or effective.

20240312_084250.jpg

20240311_143706.jpg

First thing I saw was the pics, and thought " tht was either careful measurement or sheer luck, just getting his new Ikea wardrobe into his van, to get it home".
Looks good, and not dissimilar to something I used to have in my half mini van trailer. I'd consider carpeting the top, to help stop things sliding around, and possible seal the edges to stop small objects falling down into an inaccessible space.
I'm happy with the edges as I've already thought about that, and they will be fairly accessible. Plus I can fill them later, if it does become a problem.

I hadn't thought of carpeting though. How useful would you say it was? Has anyone else carpeted? Perhaps thin rubber matting instead?

I've taken an entire week off work to concentrate just on the van so speedy responses welcome :D

I'm having a great week, who needs Majorca when they can spend time playing with the van every day :)

I’ve built a box so far in the back half of my transporter, and have the walls racked.

The box walls are hinged, so it all folds up when empty, and I’ve get the full height of the van for carrying other items if needed.

Not ideal…. And I need to do something to the front half. Was thinking of some sort of drawer that slid out the side door.

I’ve built a box so far in the back half of my transporter, and have the walls racked.

The box walls are hinged, so it all folds up when empty, and I’ve get the full height of the van for carrying other items if needed.

Not ideal…. And I need to do something to the front half. Was thinking of some sort of drawer that slid out the side door.
Pictures please @littlespark :) Box walls that are hinged sound interesting.

I love these threads! I'll try remember go find the couple on tilers forums because I remember a few. One guy runs a lovely old but fully restored 1960's renault or volvo or something. And custom paint job with real hand painted sign writing.

Lovely project to stick through a nice running business as it's an advertising feature then and not just a work van.

Reply to Building a false floor for the new van. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net