Discuss Burnt out pull cord to electric shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As mentioned by Midwest, get more than one quote to change the consumer unit, prices can vary somewhat (by a factor of 2 or more) for the same thing.

A new consumer unit is notifiable work to Building Control, so make sure anyone who does change it is able to notify it (usually by being a member of a CPS such as ELECSA, NICEIC, etc). And check you will get a certificate with it, which will include test results for all the circuits, again it is not unknown for that to be forgotten!

As already said, the ideal solution would be to get a couple of quotes and then get someone in to fix it properly. But just now you might be struggling to get that done.

Failing that, what condition is the existing cable in?
Can you see how far back it has been burned from the switch?
What sort of a route does it take (i.e. do you think you could pull in new cable using the old one as a "draw string")?

As a temporary measure you could cut the cable at a point where it is good and join a new section using something like this:

And replace you burned out pull switch with something like:

Obviously you need to be very careful to isolate the supply, best option is probably to turn all of the power off as you probably don't have a reliable tester. Opening the breaker for the shower should do that, but you should always test!

Never rely on the neon screwdriver sort, they are not reliable, this is the sort of thing you should use for testing and even then you should prove it works on a known live source first:

As a temporary measure you could cut the cable at a point where it is good and join a new section using something like this:
Yep. Not like this example of a shower 'failure' from last year.

IMG_2198.JPG

That's the whole point of it, to turn off the shower, no different to any other appliance switch we install.
Well I know, my wife insists on turning off our electric hob at the isolator, but leaves the electric oven on (at the DP switch), just turns the dials off on the oven. Silly isn’t it?
[automerge]1587225941[/automerge]
PM sent to OP. he's a Stokie, so well within reach of my grasping claws. :p :p :p
Not at the moment, not essential work.

Well I know, my wife insists on turning off our electric hob at the isolator, but leaves the electric oven on (at the DP switch), just turns the dials off on the oven. Silly isn’t it?
Ahhh....but she doesn't sit on the oven when ...….. sshh!..

Not at the moment, not essential work.

have said that in my PM. although I can't see why non-essential work should not be undertaken, providing all reasonable precautions are taken. after all, we have Piers Morgan and his crew at work every day. That's not essential ; they could all work from home, or better still give us all a rest from the tripe they broadcast. we can get any news we want from radio ot internet. Likewise the financial scammers that comprise the City of London. Close the tube system and if their work is essential the buggers can walk. :)

Yes, it is about reasonable risk and what the situation is.

Certainly a repair of sorts is something I would consider important, essential if safety is involved, but not replacing things for decorative reasons, etc.

I can't see why non-essential work should not be undertaken, providing all reasonable precautions are taken
Agree with this statement. There's nothing in the government guidance that suggests we can only carry out essential work. Point 4:

[automerge]1587227972[/automerge]
Exception:

"No work should be carried out in any household which is isolating or where an individual is being shielded, unless it is to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household, such as emergency plumbing or repairs, and where the tradesperson is willing to do so. In such cases, Public Health England can provide advice to tradespeople and households."

...although I can't see why non-essential work should not be undertaken, providing all reasonable precautions are taken.
I'm sure you can do 'non-essential' work... but you are required to work from home if possible. And if you do go to work, you need to practice social distancing.

Hello everyone,

I have recently had a bathroom refurb in our new house as it had no bathroom fitted before. I have a 8.5kw electric shower that is isolated by a 45 amp pull cord. The shower stopped working so I had an electrician come and have a look and the pull cord wires are completely black and the plastic is melted. It never tripped the main fuse box but it is wired into a 32 amp fuse on the main box and the pull cord is 45amp will this cause it to burn? What other options are there for the burning ??? Any advice is much appreciated thr shower is fitted with a 6mm cable but I'm unsure of the size of the cable that goes from the pull cord to the fuse box...

Thanks in advance
A short circuit to ground can cause an overload situation but it won't necessarily be enough to trip the MCB. It depends on the type of MCB not just the current spec. Do you have an RCD in the consumer unit? A short circuit should have tripped it. If you don't I strongly recommend you have one installed. It might not be a bad idea also to check the current being drawn by the shower once you get the switch replaced. This can be done at the consumer unit. For example, if the shower is 8.5 kW on max you would expect a current of 37 amps which wouldn't necessarily trip the MCB. I know you say you have a 32 amp fuse but that would be ok up to 7.3 kW of load. You probably don't go higher than that in terms of your actual demand. But the MCB is there to protect the circuit. RCDs are there to protect you. So if you haven't got an RCD installed have it done asap.

Reply to Burnt out pull cord to electric shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net