Discuss C type / D type - differences and advise in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Blackstone

Afternoon all,

What are the differences in C and D types breakers (MCB's)?

What type would you say should be fitted to a refrigeration unit with compressor, lights, fans and a 800w drip tray heater?

We have some conflicting views in the office with some saying C type breakers should be fitted and some saying D type should be fitted

Let me know if you need more info

Cheers

Blackstone

generally a C type will do. the difference between C and D is the magnitude of the surge current they will withstand without tripping. manufacturers instructions should be followed as regards the size and type of breaker to be fitted.

edit

: just seen that you are in kent, so a rusty nail is more commonplace> :drunk:

The physical difference is in the internal mechanism. As mentioned above, they're employed to overcome an initial surge. A time delay if you like. I was taught d type is used for xray or wielding equipment. C for motors and banks of fluorescent lights. Bear in mind not all manufacturers make d breakers for their boards.

: just seen that you are in kent, so a rusty nail is more commonplace> :drunk:

We ran out of rusty nails! ;)

anyway...

The unit runs on a 16amp breaker and on initial start up of the compressor it can spike to 40-50amps

Is there any recommendations or guidance the says compressors should have a certain type of breaker (one comments from a old school ex-electrician)?
The old school ex-electrician also said that D types should only be used in industrial applications?

Just throwing those comments out there.....

my common sense tells me to fit a C type, and then if there's a problem with tripping on start up, consider uprating to a D type. obviously, the qucker the MCB trips in the event of a fault, the better. also consider the lower max. Zs value required for a D type.

Its all down to the motor and manufacturers guide, you need to attain the recommended mcb from the manufacturer failure to source this info you can chack the motor rating and discuss with the mcb manufacturers, the college taught guide for B, C and D types is a crude rule of thumb thats generally ok to use in domestic, once you have established the mcb rating required then you design your circuit to suit the mcb rating this way you will be given different mcb types and rating and you can choose which one would satisfy permitted loop values.

This sometimes see you fitting a larger cable than you would have worked out if you did the standard teaching methods, and if your ZS values are of concern its possible to have a type B on larger circuit.

I would find out the starting current & FLC of the motor. Then you can use that to select your MCB rating and type. Does the motor go through a Manual Motor starter type overload?

Reply to C type / D type - differences and advise in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net