Discuss Cable size for car lifter ( ramps) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,
Please can someone guide me i would really appreciate. Customer has 2 x Car lifters fitted i assume its 16a each, single phase with a 13A, 3 pin plug. I wired 2.5mm ring main twin and earth clipped on the wall to 2 x double sockets. I ll also be using Rcbo as they been fitted outside.
First question is 2.5mm enough or I should have wired it on 4mm.
2nd question, what breaker size 32a or 40a and type plz B or C type.

Thanks in advance.

Hello gentlemen,
Please can someone guide me i would really appreciate. Customer has 2 x Car lifters fitted i assume its 16a each, single phase with a 13A plug.
How do you get 16A rating and a 13A plug?

What is the manufacturer's data saying?

I wired 2.5mm ring main twin and earth clipped on the wall. I ll also be using Rcbo as its been fitted outside.
First question is 2.5mm enough or I should have wired it on 4mm.
2nd question, what breaker size 32a or 40a and type plz B or C type.
The "standard option" for a RFC is 2.5mm and 32A MCB/RCBO. If they are intended for 13A plug use then that is fine.

If they actually need 16A outlets then you have to check the details of MCB curve, etc, based on the spec. They would be two separate breakers as 16A plug/sockets are not fused themselves and so need the supply breaker to provide overload protection.

Thanks for the quick reply mate at this time 12am lol. Sorry i think I have misguided you about the 16a. I have attached the picture of the lifter for your consideration.

The "standard option" for a RFC is 2.5mm and 32A MCB/RCBO. If they are intended for 13A plug use then that is fine.

If they actually need 16A outlets then you have to check the details of MCB curve, etc, based on the spec. They would be two separate breakers as 16A plug/sockets are not fused themselves and so need the supply breaker to provide overload protection.

Attachments

• IMG-20210626-WA0004.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 46

I ll upload the manufacturer's data picture tomorrow from the 2nd ramp.

This a 3 phase lift according to the rating plate. It will need a 3 phase supply.
The customer has actually said to me that he has told the supplier to install single phase lifter as you can not see properly in the picture but its got 3 core SY coming out from the isolator. which the installer cut it for no f..k reason

Attachments

• IMG-20210626-WA0000.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 49
I'd have gone 2.5/4mm radials to a rotary isolator for each lift, 2.2kw? (can't make out that picture fully) should be a dedicated circuit.

Lot more to this though, outside, circuit length, route????

I'd have gone 2.5/4mm radials to a rotary isolator for each lift, 2.2kw? (can't make out that picture fully) should be a dedicated circuit.

Lot more to this though, outside, circuit length, route????

Its actually going to the isolator built-in. Its just ring 2 x lifters clipped on the wall, about 20M long run
Yes 2.2kw each.

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_104532.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 16247881086617792640485142363465.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 33
I'd be tempted to do two 4mm radials on 25 amp C type MCBs to 32 amp isolators. As the circuit is clipped this will give the future option of upgrading to 32 amp circuits if required. Isolator rather than Cdo Skt as this will negate the need for RCD if installation method permits.

As this is a workshop will the cable require mechanical protection?

Note the 2.2kW is the mechanical power output (P2) i.e 3hp. The electrical input apparent power will be higher due to both efficiency and power factor. Whenever possible, work from the stated line curremt which is shown on the plate as 20A; the starting current will be higher. 13A plugs would not be my choice of connection.

Last edited:

Reply to Cable size for car lifter ( ramps) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net