Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Call out charges - whats yours? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LlandrilloSpark

Afternoon fellas, I hope your all enjoying the break?

I had a call out this morning to a country house, 14 rooms all full, 75% of the building down, I was told on the phone that money was no issue to get the builing up and running as they have a jubilee dinner to prepare starting at 3pm, It turned out to be a phase down, 1 phase controlled 25% of the install, 1 phase 75% and the other the storage heaters, so i dumped the heating and put the 75% that was down on a healthy phase.

I was wondering what your call out charges are and your hourly rate there after/ Sunday, I dont do a lot of call outs.

cheers

i'd have charged a minimum of £75. when you say it was a phase down, is that on the supply?

Yes tel, L3 was down on the supply, SP energy were informed and diagnosed the problem as the link across the wooden poles had broken, I spoke to the linesman who said it could not be fixed until about 6pm so I traced the cables to find that phase L2 powered the storage heaters only so I swapped the load tails around in the Henleys and got it up and running, I had to sacrifice their heating but they would rather that than have 30 very unhappy guests at £175 a night!

only thing you could do in the circs. hope you got a decent call out fee .

going for £50 for the call out charge (1st hour) then double time after per hour, round up to the nearest hour in my favour!,I left the house at 11, back at 1pm

Hi - I don't charge call out fees, just 1.5 hours for 1st hour.

Gets me repeat business and allows me in "avoid the cowboys flyers" (seriously!)

Just my way.

Yep I don't want to rip them, It will work out at approx £ 80, I reckon that's a small price to pay considering the s**t they could of been in!, I noticed that 3 of the 4 Henleys were in bits almost so I told him and I've got that(small) job, also 4 x 100 amp main switch DB's on one phase , storage heaters on another and 60amp switched fuse on another, IMO although it's not a safety issue I think that needs balancing!, he said I can do that aldo

£80 for two hours work on a call out on a Sunday in a bank holiday weekend is a good price, no worries about rip offs there.
Hope all the secondary work comes your way, it should!

I suspect that they are expecting a lot more than £80 for a Sunday call-out, as a business.
I think that £60 is a fair price for a call-out for the first hour to cover fuel and inconvenience, then an hourly rate after that. I always find that after I have the cheque in my hands, the customer decides that it's time to chat about other stuff.... half an hour before you feel the steering wheel beneath your fingers...

Reply to Call out charges - whats yours? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net