Discuss Call out fees & prices thereafter. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

going rate should be £70.00 for the first hour 35.00 from there
so next time you go there be ready with a peace of paper and get them to sign it . whether out of hour or not .

Last edited:
going rate should be £70.00 for the first hour 35.00 from there
so next time you go there be ready with a peace of paper and get them to sign it . weather its out of hours or not .

?

round here, a call-out fee of £45 is the norm, covering up to 30 mins. then £25-£30 per hour after that. course, over to wilmslow where all the man u. foot ------- live, then it triple.

Looking forward to the day in a few years where I give the customer a price unfortuantly I am to nice at times which could make me skint.

I think your £50 call out is ok. I charge £65 because I think that's reasonable for me.

Just remember when invoicing put the call out as one part of invoice and aditional works and materials as a separate charge.

If you are a 'one man band' then charge what you think is fair for you.
Was it during 'normal' working hours, did it interrupt another job? You have a vehicle to run which all costs.
Appliance companies (I know not one man bands) charge £70 + vat and upwards per hour so £50 is really quite reasonable as you are probably further qualified than the appliance engineer.

After work hours, if I've not imbibed, £100 for up to first hour. I actively deter people using me out of hours, and so far I'm busy with little out of hours action and good solid daily work, except for those who aren't bargain hunters at 11 pm on a Saturday people are happy with this so far, I feel it's about being the sort of electrician that the sort of customer who is fine with a callout of a hundred goes for. It's not about being everyone's spark it's about being the right spark for the right customer, but that's my aim, and I don't think it's for everyone.

Typical weekend call out in my area is £150 per hour , I know a local sparks to me who charges £195 per hour at weekends.

as Above I try to avoid weekend call out work as it always feels a bit wrong charging more for a job that would typically be £70-80 per hour Monday to Friday

Typical weekend call out in my area is £150 per hour , I know a local sparks to me who charges £195 per hour at weekends.

as Above I try to avoid weekend call out work as it always feels a bit wrong charging more for a job that would typically be £70-80 per hour Monday to Friday
Totally agree! That's usually what I make clear to customers and they see the logic. Nice to hear I'm not alone in this thinking.

What about the jobs where you are literally in and out in 1 minute

Do you still insist on the full charge ?

1 minute , as in re-setting an mcb or rcd , i would typically charge petrol money plus £10-£30 depending on what time of day it was

i know plenty sparks who bill for the full call-out thou

What about the jobs where you are literally in and out in 1 minute
(E.g. just resetting an mcb or rcd)

Do you still insist on the full charge ?
If its during work hours and within my very local range, then its an hourly charge no callout/no first hour extra fee - if its further afield its my callout first hour charge which is the hourly plus an amount (I have this very clearly on my website so none of this is hidden) the first hour being higher for out of town is to make up for the dead time used to drive there and return - I found that if you add up 4 really basic rcd trip resets as you say (though I'd need to know why these tripped in the first place) then its a whole day for around 160 if you only charged an hour for each - to be honest that isnt going to float my business - this is of course personal and you may find this positively lucrative - it all depends on your overheads - everyone is very different. If its out of hours then its a fee to take me away from my family, the work is irrelevant, and my family time is why I do this - I have a flexible home life as my own boss and I love being there to surprise collect the kids after school etc again each unto their own - this is my lifestyle and it will differ between people. So in most cases yes I do insist, its based on a business need and what is viable for me to maintain my business and be at home most evenings and nights. But that's just me - everyone has their own path.

What is the 'arms' section?
Its a dark and secretive place, where the demonic skills for the holly grail for electricians, who can talk of their special skills and powers. Only the most revered electricians can go there, once accepted by the other by their Grand Master brothers ..........and sisters.

Or, somewhere for example, where you can discuss pricing, without you customers knowing your every move. :)

Its a dark and secretive place, where the demonic skills for the holly grail for electricians, who can talk of their special skills and powers. Only the most revered electricians can go there, once accepted by the other by their Grand Master brothers ..........and sisters.

Or, somewhere for example, where you can discuss pricing, without you customers knowing your every move. :)
Sign me up, my grand master, and sister say it's ok! Please!??

Reply to Call out fees & prices thereafter. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net