Discuss Can a Faulty Socket Make a Kettle Misbehave? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm hoping for some advice with a weird problem. My elderly mother has been complaining of kettles boiling over rather than switching off for the last 18 months, which I've tended to blame on her not closing the lid properly, but have bought her new ones just the same. However, we're now on our eighth different brand of kettle and I've actually witnessed it myself. Trying two kettles, half full, sometimes the lid blows open, sometimes boiling water comes out of the spout, but either way they're not switching off. Is there any way the supply could be affecting this, or is it just stunning run of faulty kettles?

Fault with voltage level at source?

Might be heating up too fast, but the in built thermostat should still cut out.

Or conversely, too low a voltage may cause it to simmer for longer, but not at boiling, so doesn’t cut out on stat.

An electrician will have the necessary equipment to measure the voltage.
It could be a loose connection, or a more serious drop in the supply cable outside.

This has been posted before by someone else hasn't it?

Reply to Can a Faulty Socket Make a Kettle Misbehave? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I've got a job that i've been asked to quote for and i'm struggling with how to do it the best way. It's a summerhouse and the customer only...
Replies
Views
HI! I'm a disabled guy, Cerebral Palsy, Hydrocephalus, Dyspraxia and Asperger's, who's been put into (basically) a one-room flat, there is a...
Replies
Views
Hi, Any advice gratefully received on this. We have a double socket in our kitchen (used for the kettle and toaster mostly). On the other side of...
Replies
Views
L
Hi, I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this: My kitchen sockets have been tripping often for quite a few months...
Replies
Views
LouiseSheffield
L
H
Had a phone call from a regular customer telling me the builder who's doing her extension said there is no grommets on the existing sockets...
Replies
Views
Silly Sausage
S

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock