• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Can anyone help me find the right replacement LED bulb? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electricnovice

Hi - I'm new to site so please bear with me.

I need to replace a bulb in my white walled bathroom. I need a bright, blue-white lighting.

I have tried a couple (warm white, cool white) but they are not bright / white enough. One from Tool Station (CED GU10 replacement lamp GU35W cool white) still isnt bright enough, plus it leaves 'relecting shadows' off the bath, etc around the white ceiling and walls at night, which the current ones dont do).

There are no markings on the current ones I have, so I dont know what they are! Ive seen some on ebay but they are from China and dont have very good feedback. I'm not allowed to put any URL's in being new so I cant show those. But they have aluminium fronts and covers with 3 lamps behind. I think they might be called 'cree' but not sure?

I have CED 90 mins fire rated GU10 240v mains downlights installed (max. bulb wattage 50w).

I wondered if there is a UK version lamp? If so, what do I need? Thanks.

it's in a bathroom. if he can't find his **** by now.............

The tool station product code is No.54560 - it's still quite 'yellowish' though and llike I said creates 'shadows' around the room. I have 5 bulbs in the bathroom and need to replace 1. I'd like to get a new one that looks the same and has the same blue-white tint. Thanks for your link, but at £15 per bulb, I wouldnt want to replace all 5 at this time. I should have asked the builder where he got the original ones from and he's emigrated back home to Poland now!!

Now Ive admitted to being female I suppose I'll be getting more male wise-cracks, wont I? Whilst I dont mind, I'd much prefer to resolve my replacement bulb query. :)

Hi there electricnovice.

If you look at the description for the lamp with Toolstation product code 54560, it mentions "200 lm". This refers to the light output ("brightness") which is 200 lumens. What you need to look for is one with a higher light output. There are some on that web site with light output of 350 lm, for example. They would be appreciably brighter.

Thanks Mr Logick - I didnt know that. It's not only the brightness Im looking for, but also that blue-white tint so will a 350lm give me that or just a brighter white light? I'll have another look on their website anyway.

being a bit more serious, as mr logick said, it's the lumen output that determines the brightness and the kelvin temp. that determines the colour. yo need a 6000K for daylight, whereas the warm white are 2700-3300K and cool white are somewhere in between at around 5000K. a lamp with 320lumens is around equivalent to a 50watt halogen. some of the chinese ones are very good. if buying from ebay, make sure they're stamped CE and ROHS.

edit: and we're not all male chauvinists. we'll laugh at anything be it female, male, welsh, even ourselves.

Hello again :)

The degree of whiteness (or blueness) is defined as the "colour temperature", which is meaured in Kelvin. If you Google the phrase "bulb colour temperature" and click on the first result (the bltdirect web site) they show you a nice chart to illustrate this. In simple terms, you need a lamp with a colour tempearture of at least 6000 K. I think you may even find 6500 K if you look around.

The lamp that you specified at Toolstation is described as "cool white" but doesn't have a specified colour tempearture. It is also a relatively low-priced lamp at around £5. The better quality items tend to be around £9 or more. If you can find one that is 350 lm and at least 6000 K then it would probabaly have the appearance that you are hoping for.

You also mentioned shadows, but that would be to do with the beam angle of the lamp. Yours appears to have a 38° beam angle, which is about as "wide" as they get, but being a cheaper lamp it's just possible that the stated angle is not actually achieved and a better quality lamp might look better. Don't take this as gospel, though!

Oh... I see telectrix has beaten me to it!

Last edited:
Thanks telectrix. Differentiating which are the 'good v bad' ones on ebay is quite an art. I'll go thru them again tonight, armed with everyone's advice, thanks. Love that doggie btw.

Thanks again, Mr Logick. I'll have another look around websites tonight. Who'd have thought buying a replacement bulb could be so complicated - phew.

Thanks telectrix. Differentiating which are the 'good v bad' ones on ebay is quite an art. I'll go thru them again tonight, armed with everyone's advice, thanks. Love that doggie btw.

she was hand reared from 2 weeks old. even fully grown, she's only 2 1/2 lb.

Looks the same Tim and seems to fit all the criteria recommended by Telectrix and Mr Logick! I wish these lamps could be bought in retailers so that you didnt have the hassle of posting back returns each time, if they werent the right ones.

Reply to Can anyone help me find the right replacement LED bulb? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back