Discuss can anyone help me out with some advice? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

can you hear a click when you operate the stalk? if not it's on the switching side

...or it's broken - not hearing a click won't necessarily tell you much. But hearing a click will. When he says hear a click he means hear a click from a relay, not within the stalk. Sorry if that's obvious.

thanks i will try renault for a diagram, i don't have a haynes manual. i can hear the relay click when i turn the stalk to dipped headlights, but not when i try and activate the full beam.

phil- the relays i have under the dash are 6 small black/grey ones, haven't seen any white relays in there.
the relays under the dash are not labelled for there use and i can't seem to find any info about which one controls what on the internet, thats why i took them all out to test as they are all the same so didn't matter which order they were put back in.

i have the old stalk here so if i find out what controls the full beam how would i test it?

thanks i will try renault for a diagram...

i have the old stalk here so if i find out what controls the full beam how would i test it?

Going to Renault will probably take forever. Try forums. There are definitely service manuals on eBay on CD for a couple of quid.

If you can find out what pins on the stalk are for the main beam switch, put your mutleymeter on ohms or continuity setting; in the main-beam-on position the switch should be closed, so continuity or low resistance measured between the pins, and in the off position, no continuity or high resistance.

ok this is the headlight stalk from underneath, i can see where the full beam terminals are located (pictured) but how do i test them i.e where do i put the test leads? sorry for being so thick but electrics are not my thing.

ok this is the headlight stalk from underneath, i can see where the full beam terminals are located (pictured) but how do i test them i.e where do i put the test leads? sorry for being so thick but electrics are not my thing.

No offence but if you don't understand how to use the meter to do this, how did you test the relays?

Meter onto ohms/continuity range. Probes into correct orifices in meter front (if present) for ohm/continuity range. Put stalk into high beam position. Put probes onto those two terminals. Should see continuity / low ohms reading. Probes off. Put stalk into dipped beam position. Put probes onto those two terminals. Should see no continuity / high ohms reading.

There is a big assumption here which is that the high beam switch inside the stalk is a simple on/off across those two terminals, which I have no way of knowing without seeing a circuit diagram for the stalk or the wiring.

can you be a bit more specific on the clio
ie daytime running lights or not
year of manufacture
size of engine
got a few different diagrams for clio,clio 11 and clio 111 and their variations and need pointed in the right direction cheers

Reply to can anyone help me out with some advice? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net