Discuss Can I confirm how to test for and how to find a borrowed neutral? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This N-E test stuff is all old news, see my post #19. There is unusually low insulation resistance between neutral and earth but not a short, so whilst it needs finding it's not the reason that the two neutrals show a hard short together. It might be further evidence of some cables nailed together or co-located with the N-N problem though.

In your example. If the line had been taken from a switch on the lighting circuit and the neutral from a nearby socket, how would that show continuity between neutrals?

Sorry, that was my mistake, I didn't fully think that one through!

I was at the time bored at work watching the special effects people (plumbers) ruin a perfectly good stage floor with their rain effects.

Last edited:
Ive had 2 o these no so long ago.
One was a conservatory light where they had wired live from a nearby two way switch and taken the neutral from the socket below.
Second was kitchen under unit lights same wiring.
Id be looking around trying to spot the red flags first, opening some accesories should help you identify the culprit.

Good luck.

This is different though. It's not a line from one circuit paired with a neutral from another, it's two different neutrals connected together. It's not something you would do even as a bodge and might be a true fault e.g. a screw through two cables.

This is different though. It's not a line from one circuit paired with a neutral from another, it's two different neutrals connected together. It's not something you would do even as a bodge and might be a true fault e.g. a screw through two cables.
Absolutely possible, but just seems so unlikely. A screw passing perfectly through 2 cables, missing the earth on both (which is probably centred in the middle of the cable) and touching both neutrals.
I suppose it has to happen one in a million times, so perhaps this is it. I'd rather have won the lottery!

Absolutely possible, but just seems so unlikely. A screw passing perfectly through 2 cables, missing the earth on both (which is probably centred in the middle of the cable) and touching both neutrals.
I suppose it has to happen one in a million times, so perhaps this is it. I'd rather have won the lottery!
I had a lighting cable, a twin and earth used as a pair of strappers between 2 way switching, damaged by a nail for a dado rail. It nicked one of the strappers and caused a live to earth fault. Only the strapper was nicked, not the cpc. Fault finder was complicated by which where the two switches were operated.

Reply to Can I confirm how to test for and how to find a borrowed neutral? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net