Discuss can i install a pendant light in shower room? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
never install a pendant light in a shower room before, i always check the IP rating first, but for pendant light like this one does not have a IP, can i install it in zone 2 in a shower room?

94296_P

checked the on-site guide, there is 30ma RCD protection, really cannot see why i cannot put it in shower room, but still not sure.

Zone 2 only goes up to 2.3m if I remember correctly... How high is the ceiling?

Would have to be pretty high before I'd take the chance with a pendant

I just wouldn`t do it full stop. Even if it was ok to do so it would make you sleep better at night..........

I agree, whilst it may be okay there are personal standards too :)

I personally would be putting forward a strong case for not fitting one even if the customer has requested one.

IP rated lights are not expensive (tenner for some?) and it needs certifying because it's in a special location.

If the customer did decline then I'm afraid I'd walk on this occasion and let Bob from the pub sort it for a fiver in cash lol

:thumbsup

In my years I have never, ever installed one in a bathroom full stop. Infact i'm often replacing them as a remedial, so a big no no from me.

never install a pendant light in a shower room before, i always check the IP rating first, but for pendant light like this one does not have a IP, can i install it in zone 2 in a shower room?

94296_P

checked the on-site guide, there is 30ma RCD protection, really cannot see why i cannot put it in shower room, but still not sure.

All I can say is that I would never install a pendent light fitting in a shower or bathroom. IP44 globe fittings everytime.

When I was a teenager I had a pendant light blow due to condensation whilst I was taking a shower, trust me its not fun being covered in glass when your washing your hair. Don't fit one regardless of zones.

im sure if you explain to the customer the dangers of it and fiting a ip44 bulk or similar would be a much safer option. you can get baton style but thats still a nish nish

Crabtree use to do an ip pendant while I was seving my time it had like a stuffing gland on to of lampholder to prevent the moisture condensation running down the flex BUT IMO its a definite NO NO

Reply to can i install a pendant light in shower room? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net