Discuss Can i recify faults without being NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markthespark

Hello all, i have been an Electrician for 10 years now i only do it part time as i work for the Fire Service.

My mum rents her house out and last week the tenant said the RCD tripped and didnt have power so the letting agent sent an electrician around, he couldnt rectify the fault there and then but turned a breaker off to get the power back on. He said he will go back on 7th jan to sort it out.
he said it could cost £200-£300 and might need a new fuse box, which i cant see why really.

Anyway, i said i would go around and fix the problem myself and also replace 2 extractor fans in the bathroom that are broken.

The letting agent said in an email. The electrician I sent round has turned off the circuit breakers until he can diagnose the fault – it’s important that they do get turned back on. If Mark goes round to do the work he needs to have a current certificate to say he is NICEIC qualified and in date, otherwise if something happens then you will be in serious trouble. I only say this as she has reported the problem. Let me know if he still has the qualification

Where do i stand? I can legally go and recify the fault, as i wont be installing any new circuits? It could be something as simple as a faulty appliance.

And for the extractors in the bathroom i thought these were covered under the "maintainence" rule.

Many thanks in advance.

Repairs and maintenance don't fall under notifiable work but it will need to be tested and certified mate. The letting agent is talking crap, it's what they do.

You can legally rectify the fault and if its just a faulty accessory or non notifiable works (to LABC) then you will be fine, if you do need to replace any fixed wiring then technically it should be notified, have to be honest though if I was in your shoes and it was a small length of cable i would fix it and be done.

As the spark who attended for the reason for the new board.

Also NICEIC qualified does not even exist, don't get us started on that one!, NICEIC, NAPIT or Elecsa are all government bodies that some of us are members off, they assess our competency yearly and notify the LABC on our behalf, they are all as good/bad as each other

If he could rectify there and then why a new 'fuse box' as you call it ? And how does he turn the breaker off to get the power back on ???
I suppose the flat belongs to your mum so, if your qualified and have the test instruments, have a look.

You can legally rectify the fault and if its just a faulty accessory or non notifiable works (to LABC) then you will be fine, if you do need to replace any fixed wiring then technically it should be notified, have to be honest though if I was in your shoes and it was a small length of cable i would fix it and be done.

As the spark who attended for the reason for the new board.

Also NICEIC qualified does not even exist, don't get us started on that one!, NICEIC, NAPIT or Elecsa are all government bodies that some of us are members off, they assess our competency yearly and notify the LABC on our behalf, they are all as good/bad as each other

New one on me ?

Have to ask, ....So how do you get on then, when your carrying out electrical work part time?? Your obviously not registered with any of the scam providers or you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place...

What are your electrical qualifications by the way, fast track/time served or other??

Thanks for the replies its just what i thought.

Apologies for the brief description of the fault, i work in London and the house is in Manchester so ive only been told over the phone through my mum whats going on.

Yes from what i gather the Electrician turned off the breaker that was causing the RCD to trip.

I work part time for an NICEIC registered company, dont work as a sole trader.

Im not a Electrical Trainee i went to college and served an apprenticeship and gained a Level 3 2351 and 17th Edition but mainly do commercial work.

So ill go and replace the 2 extractor fans and rectify the fault and if any remedial work is required ill do it through the company i work for.

Many thanks again

Thanks for the replies its just what i thought.

Apologies for the brief description of the fault, i work in London and the house is in Manchester so ive only been told over the phone through my mum whats going on.

Yes from what i gather the Electrician turned off the breaker that was causing the RCD to trip.

I work part time for an NICEIC registered company, dont work as a sole trader.

Im not a Electrical Trainee i went to college and served an apprenticeship and gained a Level 3 2351 and 17th Edition but mainly do commercial work.

So ill go and replace the 2 extractor fans and rectify the fault and if any remedial work is required ill do it through the company i work for.

Many thanks again

Well that's cleared up a lot of loose ends!! lol!!!

if he was there during the blitz, he's probably retired now. :death:

Reply to Can i recify faults without being NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net