Discuss Can I run mains cable inside hollow metal lintel? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

I’m going to install a hard wired 230v security camera, incorporating floodlights, outside and above garage door onto brick.

An exposed expanded metal lintel (that is hollow) runs across the garage door opening. Outside it has a decorative brick facing. The brick is not load bearing.

I intend to run the mains cable clipped direct to the wall until it meets the lintel at 90 degrees and then inside the lintel to the mid point where it will go through a hole in the brick.

The lintel is under 150mm from garage ceiling (prescribed zones) and cable/accessories will be placed compliant with prescribed zones.

I already understand about:
1. IP rating for lights/camera;
2. Fused spurs off ring main through FCU with 2.5 mm2 cable to FCU and 1.5mm2 thereafter; or
3. Separate circuit from 3amp FCU with 16amp rcd/mcb;
4. Absolutely no drilling of lintel.

My question is simply - can I run the cable inside the hollow lintel with no clips/conduit? If not, how to get cable to destination compliant with regs?

TIA

Hello

I’m going to install a hard wired 230v security camera, incorporating floodlights, outside and above garage door onto brick.

An exposed expanded metal lintel (that is hollow) runs across the garage door opening. Outside it has a decorative brick facing. The brick is not load bearing.

I intend to run the mains cable clipped direct to the wall until it meets the lintel at 90 degrees and then inside the lintel to the mid point where it will go through a hole in the brick.

The lintel is under 150mm from garage ceiling (prescribed zones) and cable/accessories will be placed compliant with prescribed zones.

I already understand about:
1. IP rating for lights/camera;
2. Fused spurs off ring main through FCU with 2.5 mm2 cable to FCU and 1.5mm2 thereafter; or
3. Separate circuit from 3amp FCU with 16amp rcd/mcb;
4. Absolutely no drilling of lintel.

My question is simply - can I run the cable inside the hollow lintel with no clips/conduit? If not, how to get cable to destination compliant with regs?

TIA
Sorry,

3. Should read: separate circuit from consumer unit with 16amp radial supply only to this lighting/camera…

Reply to Can I run mains cable inside hollow metal lintel? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net