Discuss “Can you do a quick EICR before end of year?” in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Picked up the keys this morning and had a quick visual… will do the actual testing on Monday… but what I’ve found so far….

(Not necessarily leading to anything worse than a C3)

Missing pendant. Pendant in bathroom, non splash proof panel heater in bathroom, no fan isolator in bathroom… switches that don’t turn anything on that I can find. Cables not secure. Inaccessible consumer unit. Consumer unit cover not secure. Blanks missing.

Most of the double sockets are on pattress boxes so likely on top of single box. Extra joints going on.
Shower switch on flush box, on surface…..

End of the year? So you can rent it out in January?

Oookay. 🤨

981E0BE9-BB21-485D-A221-1ABD3A192284.jpeg
5CF0E02D-0A1A-44D4-9554-1BCF4C3AF0A6.jpeg
9856FA3A-D65C-41BC-8F5D-295DD48C915E.jpeg

Right. Was at the house today, and there’s a bit more “wrong” that I thought.

Had to C1 the off peak board anyway, as it was retrofitted plug in circuit breakers on an old wylex board and I could see live parts…

On top of that, there was only two storage heaters fitted, one in living room, one in hall, both 3.4kW and both off the first breaker… which was a 32A… feeding just one 2.5mm. So there’s a joint somewhere…. And that breaker’s oversized for the cable. Guess the original 16 was tripping at the 29 Amps it was taking to heat them both.

Dining room has a heater point, and can see on the wall where a heater has been, so I might move one of them in there, and blank off the spare.

Also a point on the landing…. Where there is no wall space. The heater must have been screwed to the balustrade!

Last point is in a rubbish extension out the back. Again, no heater.

The rest was surprisingly intact. One loose cpc on a socket causing no continuity end to end, but found straight away.

EICR tests are starting to be a "silly mans game" .Just not worth doing them at all.
Domestic ones, yes.

Some of the big commercial and industrial, too, I suppose, with the big concerns like B. Veritas getting involved.

Came across one of their biggies a bit back. Very professionally put forward and laid out but hardly any testing involved........more 'lims' than a Detroit multi story car park.

Domestic ones, yes.

Some of the big commercial and industrial, too, I suppose, with the big concerns like B. Veritas getting involved.

Came across one of their biggies a bit back. Very professionally put forward and laid out but hardly any testing involved........more 'lims' than a Detroit multi story car park.

I agree, seen some of these testing and inspecting only companies, they are cheap but often the EICR is not worth the paper its written on... Does make you wonder if its starting to get to a point where one of those EICR's are about as good as the PAT testing when all they do is a 30 second visual inspection..

I did some when the whole landlord thing came in but find I am just too expensive, and thats taking into account the hours I spend is at a lower rate than I normally would charge.. I have been asked to do a few larger properties recently and frankly I just say I am too busy, as they really are not worth it...

Really wish the CPS's would take these big companies to task, saw a job advertised for social housing, £250 a day... Based on £50 per EICR and expectation that you do 5 EICR's a day... No way can you do a proper EICR one guy for that money and do 5 a day... I guess their argument is that the customer is getting what they pay for..

I’ve taken this job on at £150 for the EICR, plus whatever to get the smoke detectors up to spec… gave them a price for that, then my hourly rate to fix whatever needs fixed.

Partly good little earner for a slow time of year, partly getting out the house when there’s 3 daughters and a wife getting on each other’s nerves.

I agree, seen some of these testing and inspecting only companies, they are cheap but often the EICR is not worth the paper its written on... Does make you wonder if its starting to get to a point where one of those EICR's are about as good as the PAT testing when all they do is a 30 second visual inspection..

I did some when the whole landlord thing came in but find I am just too expensive, and thats taking into account the hours I spend is at a lower rate than I normally would charge.. I have been asked to do a few larger properties recently and frankly I just say I am too busy, as they really are not worth it...

Really wish the CPS's would take these big companies to task, saw a job advertised for social housing, £250 a day... Based on £50 per EICR and expectation that you do 5 EICR's a day... No way can you do a proper EICR one guy for that money and do 5 a day... I guess their argument is that the customer is getting what they pay for..
To most it's just another bit of paper needed prior to a sale.
95%, or more, wouldn't have the faintest idea of the possible implications, or care, for that matter. Once the deal is done, who cares anyway.

Reply to “Can you do a quick EICR before end of year?” in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net