Discuss Can you fit a switch without a backbox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

YD20010

DIY
Reaction score
I have a new kitchen fitted and the electrician has fitted a two gang architrave switch without a back box. Is this safe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!

As above - more details needed and ideally a photo. You may have to crop or reduce it due to size limitations on the forum.

No back box what so ever ? just a hole chopped into a unit I have seen this done a few times where space is super tight but not a big fan of this method personally

kind of reminds me of older 1950s houses wired in splt tube where the switch boxes consisted of 2 tiny bits of wood set in a hole to screw the switches on the wall

No back box what so ever ? just a hole chopped into a unit I have seen this done a few times where space is super tight but not a big fan of this method personally

kind of reminds me of older 1950s houses wired in splt tube where the switch boxes consisted of 2 tiny bits of wood set in a hole to screw the switches on the wall
Hello Dustydazzler.
Thanks for your comments, and yes a qualified electrician did this, but more annoyingly he extended the wires of a underfloor heating thermostat, and did not follow the convention, i.e Brown to Brown, blue to blue etc. So I now have an earth wire connecting a live terminal etc.
I feel happier that the architrave switch does not have a back box, and is safe, thanks to your comment.

So it was left like this because he didn't have a back box? And he's used an earth wire for a live? Was this a proper electrician that has done this or a kitchen fitter?

So it was left like this because he didn't have a back box? And he's used an earth wire for a live? Was this a proper electrician that has done this or a kitchen fitter?
No it was a proper electrician, I was surprised but trusted in his knowledge as he was the electrician. With hindsight I should have challenged him. I did mention to him that I would be confused with a earth sleeved cable going to a live connection, but it did not seem to bother him.

The back box is to prevent the spread of fire as well as stop anything toughing it, if there is a loose connection and it starts arcing it could set fire to the cupboard. This is what annoys me when boxes end up so far in the wall after its boarded, there ends up a massive gap between the socket and box up the back of the wall.
Hello Oscar 21.
Thanks for your comment.

Used to be able to buy conversion brackets that fitted into hole, with an earth lug on the middle, chucked my last one away in the last 10 years. Stopped them not allowed anymore.

No it was a proper electrician, I was surprised but trusted in his knowledge as he was the electrician. With hindsight I should have challenged him. I did mention to him that I would be confused with a earth sleeved cable going to a live connection, but it did not seem to bother him.

I'd have a good look at any other work he has done if I were you.

Used to be able to buy conversion brackets that fitted into hole, with an earth lug on the middle, chucked my last one away in the last 10 years. Stopped them not allowed anymore.

Do you mean these?

They were designed for adapting the old cast iron flush boxes to allow a modern switch plate to be fitted in front of them.
The cast iron boxes had tapped holes at the back of the box which lined up with the holes in the conversion bracket.

Reply to Can you fit a switch without a backbox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net