Discuss Canada in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kate

Could be a pipe dream, but I want to emmigrate to canada in the future, to be honest its one of my reasons for becoming an electrician.
Does any one on here know how to go about it? I have a fair bit of family living over there, but ideally I want to avoid doing a 'sponsorship'

Has anyone on here done this??

2nd-ary question....if i get a bad response does anyone know of a canadian resident who would marry me to get me a green card :smilewinkgrin:

There is a thread on here regarding working in Canada. One of the forum members lives and works over there I believe. He's posted a few photos on of the type of work he does but to me it sounds very very cold! Try doing a search for it. :thumbup:

Fort McMurray is where the work and money are, just who you know rather than what! I think there is some kind of red seal exam to take to transfer your quals over, and I think you have to be commercially biased to earn the money but no doubt someone will shoot me down!

That link is better than the research I did 6-8 months ago. I read a web page that said they had stopped taking applications until some date in the future that I have forgotten now. May have been march 2013.

To live or work in Canada you can euither apply for the Provincial Nominee Programme where you have to prove you will be able to find a job, find an employee to sponsor you, there is a new programme starting this year to replace the Federal Skiled Worker programme that got out of hand with the Canadian immigration moving the goal posts and knocking people back for absolutley stupid reasons, including taking an English test to prove that you can speak it, despite being a native speaker.

If you are just starting as an electrician you would be better off starting or finishing your apprenticeship over there, and gain knowledge and experience on the North American wiring system.

If you serve your time over here, if and when you get to Canada, your city and guilds will have to be assessed by the Provincial board of trades, which in turn will allow you to work for six months. But within that time you will have to challenge the Inter Provincial Red Seal Examination to obtain a licence that is valid for life, except in Ontario where you have to pay every 4 years to renew for some reason. This will then allow you to work in any of the Canadian Provinces, States, and Terratories.

You will probably be better off trying the family sponsorship route first, but they have to be, Father, Mother, Sister, Brother, Son, Daughter, I think in Alberta they allow cousins and Grandparents but don't quote me on it.

The cold weather in Canada can get down to -40 deg C but averages -25 deg C, and the winters can last for up to 7 months on average, but on some days it can rise up to 12 deg C then drop back to - 25 deg C. The humidity across Canada can vary, but the cold weather is actually much dryer and more bearable than the cold in the UK, until you touch certain surfaces. They are much more organised during and after a heavy snow fall than what they are over here.

The warmest Province is British Columbia averaging the same temps as the UK, and probably the most picturesque, and probably the most expensive. The Canadians don't have a culture as such, their pubs and bars tend to boring along with most of the people, and they don't watch footy, they watch ice hockey. But petrol, gas, and electric are cheap, but food and drink is expensive.

Most of the top money is in the oil sands and around Fort Mac, but its an hirem firem culture, and some of the firms are heavily unionised, and won't think at nothing at going on strike at the drop of a hat. The smaller firms work a 40 hour week and don't always pay overtime at a premium.

Having said all that, my advice to you is to pursue it further as this country has been finished for over 30 years. But be prepared to deal with the most bombastic, beauracratic, pedandtic set of knob necks you can imagine. The Canadian immigration service.

I finished 3-4 years ago (the older I get the faster the years go!) been self employed just over 2 years I think.
Ah my family is an aunt and uncle, and I have two cousins that both have families. They are all in the British Columbia area so I would want to be there. It's Victoria, you seem to know the areas!!
ive been over to visit quite a few times, since the last trip I can't stop thinking about it. Me and my family started the immigration process about 7 years ago but the recession hit so it fell through.

To be honest if I got to live over there I wouldn't mind the pay too much as long as I could live off of it! One of my cousins is married to a carpenter so hopefully after being settled...you never know.

I have relatives over there in Canada, a few in the US (in high positions) and relatives in Australia as well, on looking into a possible move I was told that it is not taken into consideration, was also told that if wanting to take GF as well, either she would have to be suitable for a skilled visa or be left behind....

everybody wants to leave Britain by the looks of it, but I know that Canada , Australia and the US are getting less and less keen on outsiders moving there as they have their own problems to deal with....soon visas will be for Medical doctors only....

I know of a local who's sister moved to Canada in 1985, she married a Canadian man, started a business, made millions and bought a huge ranch and a farm, which she still manages....as well as owning another business there....her husband died back in 2000 or thereabouts, and she stayed on in Canada, she then got a visit from immigration to advise her that she had 30 days to leave the country having overstayed by 12 years.....her paperwork was never done correctly back in 1985, and also never filled in (again) correctly in 2000, and apparently immigration had overlooked/forgotten her until then.....the fact that her husband had died had somehow started the official ball rolling, once the oversight was noticed...

She moved back to the UK (as she was told she must) and made an appeal from here, which was dragging out....after that I never heard how she got on but I don't think she got on very well...

Wow that poor woman!! I couldn't imagine how horrible that would be.

i don't like Britain. I wasnt born here, I have no loyalties to it. If it wasnt for my mom and dad I'd have moved long ago! I should probably say my brother too.

Couldnt you have married your GF surely that would make her have to go?
My BF was a plumber for like 15 years now he's a dry liner but does general building works too. Although, this is very personal now...he says he doesn't want marriage or kids so there's no future unless he changes his mind! Lol.

everybody wants to leave Britain by the looks of it, but I know that Canada , Australia and the US are getting less and less keen on outsiders moving there as they have their own problems to deal with....soon visas will be for Medical doctors only....

I know of a local who's sister moved to Canada in 1985, she married a Canadian man, started a business, made millions and bought a huge ranch and a farm, which she still manages....as well as owning another business there....her husband died back in 2000 or thereabouts, and she stayed on in Canada, she then got a visit from immigration to advise her that she had 30 days to leave the country having overstayed by 12 years.....her paperwork was never done correctly back in 1985, and also never filled in (again) correctly in 2000, and apparently immigration had overlooked/forgotten her until then.....the fact that her husband had died had somehow started the official ball rolling, once the oversight was noticed...

She moved back to the UK (as she was told she must) and made an appeal from here, which was dragging out....after that I never heard how she got on but I don't think she got on very well...

That is the sort of thing I can beleive that the CIC would do, with their jumpers for goal posts mentality. Its only amatter of time before their heirarchy is challenged by some international humanitarian group, as its becoming more common knowledge throughout the world with how thet think they can treat people.

And for a country that declared itself one of the greenest countries, if not the greenest developing country in the world. To pull out of the Montreal Protocol and still supply fossil fuels to itself and other countries, just about sums up the double standard mentality of their government!

Reply to Canada in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net