Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Can't figure ring final r1 + r2 divided by 4 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. KeenPensioner

KeenPensioner EF Member

Hi...keen amateur here......don't crucify me for asking!! I understand Ohm's law and I understand the mechanics of measuring end to end on ring final and then joining incoming live to outgoing neutral etc, and I know that this configuration gives a figure of 8 (in fact can be straightened to give a complete circle) but I can't figure out the "calculated method" of dividing by (r1+r2)/4....why?
    If you meter across the mid point of the "circle" then yes...
    if K= r1+r2 (the complete circle) then...since in parallel...
    1/R = 1/(K/2) + 1/(K/2) which simplifies to 1/R = 4/k, then R=K/4....(r1+r2)/4........but what happens if you measure across the circle at any other point other than the mid point?

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Far to difficult for a Sunday Afternoon

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

Ring main cabled in parallel,so the csa of the cable is half & the resistance of the cable is half.
    So 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4.
    So we divide by 4 to get r1 & r2.

4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    R1+R2 to be pedantic again. But then again if we don't get the basics right we get all confused.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Massive1

Massive1 Trainee Access

Try this..
    photobucket.com/gallery/user/kingofrocknroll/media/cGF0aDovUmluZzFhcGRmLmpwZw==/?ref=

6. cliffed

How true

7. cliffed

Error loading page

8. Madocks

Madocks Electrician's Arms

John warde ring final testing explained

9. cliffed

Too long

10. happysteve

happysteve Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Dovecote Electrical
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Actually cross-sectional area is doubled and distance is halved hence a factor of four.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

To the furthest point or mid point 2 cables are run and the length of cable to the furthest point is half the length of cable in the ring giving a multiplier of 4 for the installed length of cable.
    I just think of it as to mid points and 2 cables in parallel = multiplier of 4

13. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Ring Fimal Circuits are basically two sets of conductors wired in parallel.
    If you measure r1 + r2, you are in fact measuring two sets of parallel conductors, but in series.
    If you had a Radial circuit 50m long and then decided to turn it into an RFC, all you would need to do is run another 50m cable from the Consumer Unit to the last socket.
    So although you might use 100m end to end of cable to wire an RFC, the circuit is in fact only 50m long or only 1/2 as long.
    Because an RFC is in fact two conductors in parallel, the resistance is halved another 1/2.
    Multiply these two 1/2s together and you get 1/4.
    Therefore when we measure r1 + r2 in an RFC, we divide by 4 to obtain R1 + R2.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. KeenPensioner

KeenPensioner EF Member

Thank you for your replies......food for thought.......even on a Sunday! I'll study these answers later and get back to you if I still don't get it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    an easy way to simplify it is to consider a length of single cable around 30m of 1.5mm
    it's resistance measures at o.36 ohms. now add an identical length in parallel.resistance is halved, so 0.18 ohms

then cut both in half and parallel 2 of the 15m lengths. halved again = 0.9 ohms.