Search the forum,

Discuss Ceiling light (metal) back to light pendant plastic in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

diddicoy

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a metal ceiling light I would like to change back to a light pendant, the cables are in a connection strip so can I use this to attach the new pendant or do I undo the strips and start from scratch and wire all into the new pendant connections. Thank everybody

If you mean a ceiling rose with a pendant drop then the rose will have the necessary termination points. Show a pic of how it is currently connected.

A regular pendant has connections in the ceiling rose part... Live, loop and neutral. And earth, of course.
They normally come supplied as a complete unit... Rose, flex, lampholder... at a standard length.

If you mean a ceiling rose with a pendant drop then the rose will have the necessary termination points. Show a pic of how it is currently connected.
Yes a ceiling rose with a pendant drop. Thank you haven't got chance to take a pic the kids won't let me turn the leccy off as they will have no internet not that I let them rule me. That's good to know wasn't sure and thank you.

A regular pendant has connections in the ceiling rose part... Live, loop and neutral. And earth, of course.
They normally come supplied as a complete unit... Rose, flex, lampholder... at a standard length.
Thanks for the reply, that's all I needed to know hopefully the switch live is identified to make things easier. Thanks again.

You can identify the switched live at the moment by observing the existing connections. Make sure that you have it marked before removing the old fitting.

You can identify the switched live at the moment by observing the existing connections. Make sure that you have it marked before removing the old fitting.
Thanks Brian , am I right in saying if its not marked clearly its in the 2 block line terminal.

Without a pic of the existing connections I can't say, but a typical UK light pendant from several years ago would have three twin and earth cables coming into it. All the earths would be connected to the same terminal, all the reds/browns connected to another terminal, two of the blue/blacks to another, and the remaining blue or black to another. It's this last wire that would be expected to be the switched live. It should have a short length of red or brown sleeving on it, but even if this is present, it has been known to slip off when the wires are disconnected.

Without a pic of the existing connections I can't say, but a typical UK light pendant from several years ago would have three twin and earth cables coming into it. All the earths would be connected to the same terminal, all the reds/browns connected to another terminal, two of the blue/blacks to another, and the remaining blue or black to another. It's this last wire that would be expected to be the switched live. It should have a short length of red or brown sleeving on it, but even if this is present, it has been known to slip off when the wires are disconnected.
Hi, thanks to everybody and you Brian . I changed the light fitting today and all works well. Pic of old light fitting. Switched live on the far left , all the lives were in a terminal block under the tape.IMG_0810.jpg

Reply to Ceiling light (metal) back to light pendant plastic in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock