Discuss Help with ceiling light wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, there are 3 bundles of wires coming from my ceiling and I've been told they have been tested with a multimeter and have all got a current but I cannot seem to get the light to work, I will provide pictures of the wiring, the pendant and the switch wiring, any advice would be appreciated (also maybe if anyone knows the correct configuration I can use to get lighting, I currently have the wires in a terminal block, I also do not have any information about how the light was previously set up as I had to order a new pendant

TL;DR
too many wires im confused

Attachments

• PXL_20231127_150034999.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20231127_150051627.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20231127_150218447.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 16
The centre loop terminal connect the browns from the cables with the brown and blue wires plus one brown from the cable with two browns, doesn't matter which one.
The other brown from the cable with two browns connect to the live terminal.
All blues into the neutral terminal.
Earths to the earth terminal.
You are lucky one cable had the two brown wires or you would have been stuck.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPG
The centre loop terminal connect the browns from the cables with the brown and blue wires plus one brown from the cable with two browns, doesn't matter which one.

Indeed. Nice to see the brown/brown T&E being used. Hopefully points to an install that has been done well.

Hi, thank-you for the fast reply, I just tried to do what I think you said? But nothing happens, I will post a picture of how I have it configured (the wiring is all over the place but hopefully you can tell if it's correct)

Attachments

• PXL_20231127_162505270.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 13
Hi, thank-you for the fast reply, I just tried to do what I think you said? But nothing happens, I will post a picture of how I have it configured (the wiring is all over the place but hopefully you can tell if it's correct)

During the course of trying things you haven't tripped an MCB/RCD in your consumer unit have you?

During the course of trying things you haven't tripped an MCB/RCD in your consumer unit have you?
I believe it has triggered at least once(if you mean like a powercut where you reset, sorry I'm not as familiar with this lingo) but it was about a week ago, I also can't comment on the people before me as it's been like this for over a year and a couple of other people have tried during that time

I believe it has triggered at least once(if you mean like a powercut where you reset, sorry I'm not as familiar with this lingo) but it was about a week ago, I also can't comment on the people before me as it's been like this for over a year and a couple of other people have tried during that time

What I was meaning is have you checked to see if any breakers are currently tripped?

The only other thing I can suggest before you get an electrician is to replace the switch.

do you have a 2 pole voltage tester?
if so, measure voltage without disconnecting anything from
blue wires to center brown wires
blue wires to other brown terminal (with lamp flex attached)
change switch position and repeat last test.

Reply to Help with ceiling light wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net