Discuss Replace old ceiling light that has 3 wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

fernsd

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to replace an old ceiling light with a new one. My current connection has 3 wires and not sure how I should be wiring this. Please can someone help

Attachments

• IMG_9839.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 37
It’s a loop in wiring system.
All the reds are permanent live… isolate the circuit.
The single black is switched live. Goes to L of fitting. Should have some red sleeving or tape on it to identify this.
The 2 blacks are neutral. Goes to N of fitting.

All the bare earths go together, individually sleeved in green and yellow and go to E or eart symbol.

You will have to join the connections if removing the ceiling rose.

Depending on the relative diameters and depth of the ceiling rose and new fitting, you might be able to take the support bar off the new fitting, place it behind the existing ceiling rose, and screw the pair back where the ceiling rose was. Hopefully the holes in the rose might line up with the slots in the bar, or you could drill new holes. You probably won't get the lid back on the ceiling rose, but the fact you can leave all the wiring intact, and just connect the new lamp to the terminals each side of the rose, which is probably safer than trying to re-do it all with Wago's or choc block. Remember to connect that earth wire on the new fitting!

Depending on the relative diameters and depth of the ceiling rose and new fitting, you might be able to take the support bar off the new fitting, place it behind the existing ceiling rose, and screw the pair back where the ceiling rose was. Hopefully the holes in the rose might line up with the slots in the bar, or you could drill new holes. You probably won't get the lid back on the ceiling rose, but the fact you can leave all the wiring intact, and just connect the new lamp to the terminals each side of the rose, which is probably safer than trying to re-do it all with Wago's or choc block. Remember to connect that earth wire on the new fitting!
Sounds a bit of a botch to do that to be honest, as it's not the way it's designed to be fitted.

He would still have to disconnect the wiring to get it through the mounting bracket.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit of a botch to do that to be honest, as it's not the way it's designed to be fitted.

He would still have to disconnect the wiring to get it through the mounting bracket.
I have done similar in the past.
if the space allows it then it is a neat solution

edit. I don’t think the fitting is actually designed to be fitted, it is designed to look nice and be made to the lowest possible cost.

I agree it's a bodge, but I thought may be 'safer' given the OP's uncertainty.
I disagree about disconnecting the wiring, it can stay intact. The bar would just slide under (assuming it's wide enough), and the cable entry hole in the rose is offset enough to allow that.

I agree it's a bodge, but I thought may be 'safer' given the OP's uncertainty.
I disagree about disconnecting the wiring, it can stay intact. The bar would just slide under (assuming it's wide enough), and the cable entry hole in the rose is offset enough to allow that.
I don’t totally disagree
But in Mho it’s Easier to wago and use the correct fitting

Last edited:
I have done similar in the past.
if the space allows it then it is a neat solution

edit. I don’t think the fitting is actually designed to be fitted, it is designed to look nice and be made to the lowest possible cost.
The new fitting is not designed to go over a ceiling rose.

May not be designed that way, but if there’s space, then why not?

You need to add the common live connection anyway

Reply to Replace old ceiling light that has 3 wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net