Discuss Chandelier wiring, 5 bulbs with blue and brown wiring HELP. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need your help with rewiring this chandelier. It has 5 bulb insures as seen from first pic and it’s wires blue and brown wires on the rear.

Any ideas how to rewire them all together so I can have it installed as my ceiling light.

I’d really appreciate the help, don’t want to add to land fill when this still has lots of life.

Attachments

• BDF7F720-A16C-4302-BF8E-529046962CA7.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 68
  • EB02712B-B215-43DB-9E96-3DB720BB9292.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 66
Looks 2nd hand to me. Has someone nicked the connector?

2 things that really stick out from the photographs.

As mentioned above, there doesn't seem to be an earth tag on it. This is the most important safety feature of a metal light fitting, and must be included somehow.

Secondly, it appears the brown and blue from each lampholder has been twisted together... i see no reason why that has been done, so i really think it needs tested properly before putting it up in case there's been some imaginative rewiring done to it in the past.

Otherwise, its just all the browns together with the brown (or red) in the ceiling, and likewise with the blues (or black). There seems to be plenty room above the fitting to place the connectors.

For the very important earth connection, a large ring terminal, with a green/yellow wire attached would be the best way to go. Fit the ring terminal under one of the nuts that holds a lamp stalk to the base.

A fitting of this age would be expected to have red and black flexibles to the lamps. I suspect that it has been rewired, but not used since. This would explain the brown and blue pairs twisted together to push them through the tubes.

I think flex was brown and blue for long time before it was adopted for as fixed wiring colours.
A fitting of this age would be expected to have red and black flexibles to the lamps. I suspect that it has been rewired, but not used since. This would explain the brown and blue pairs twisted together to push them through the tubes.

Reply to Chandelier wiring, 5 bulbs with blue and brown wiring HELP. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net