Discuss Changing Towel Rail elements - is this reasonable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

myDevonhome

I rent out a flat some distance away from where I live, and new tenants told me that neither of the 2 bathrooms' towel rails were heating. They are controlled by a Patterson Heating EC.512 Mains signaling control. Given that both were not working, I suspected that the channel settings for these elements had not been set, but I was recommended a plumber who went round to sort it out. He said that the 2 elements were dead, and that replacing the receivers would be very expensive, since Nobo did not make them anymore. He then put in 2 new elements and a simple timer to control them. He also says he had to remove the 2 towel rails down to his van, in his words -

"The radiators had to be removed, takendownstairs to the van due to the possibility of pressure build up andmaking a complete mess of the bathroom. The elements are carefullyremoved and the replacements fitted, top up any fluids lost, check for anyleaks then refit to wall, reconnect the electricity cable to outlet and test."

I am being asked to pay £500 for this, which he claims took 3 hours.

Everyone needs to earn a living, but I would be very grateful for any comments which might help me decide what was a fair price for this job, and whether replacing the controllers with a simple timer was the right thing to do?

Many thanks!

Yes, replacing the controller with standard elements and a simple timer for each was probably the right thing. This is how most towel rads are set up.

The elements are in the bottom of the towel rads and so the rad needs to be removed from the wall and turned upside down. The element is simply unscrewed and a new one screwed back in. Electrical connections need to be remade after putting it back on the wall. No need to take the rad out of the bathroom.

If there is signs of corrosion within the rad (eg black water), I would take it ouside and drain it out and if poss give it a flush with a hose. Easy job. Refill with tap water and 10% heating system corrosion inhibitor or glycol antifreeze (the automotive stuff - it contains the necessary corrosion inhibitors and slightly improves the heat transfer properties of plain water). Leave about a 5% air gap for expansion.

In most cases these elements are controlled by a simple timer and so the new one is just being reconnected to the existing wiring. In your case if a controller was being replaced, does that mean there was some associated electrical wrks to modify the circuits or run new lines? if so was a Sparks employed or was any of the work notifiable? Almost certainly a Minor Works Certificate should have been issued.

Materials required:
towel rad element £20 to £40 ea depending on wattage
timer £15 to £40 depending on type
a few quid for sundry items.

To replace two towel elements and timers like for like, say £220 allowing half a day to include picking up materials and driving.
How much electrical work was required to replace your 'controller' with timers? Can't have been much as you say the whole job was completed in just 3 hours (is that 3 hrs on site - don't forget time and travel for materials), say another £30 or so for FCUs, cable etc. Even another half day only adds another £120.

A similar job could be £500 worth, but from what you describe I'd say about £250 would be about right for your job. £300 tops.

agree^^^^^ £500 is due to him being a plumber and ripping people off is covered on day 2 of the 3 day plumbers on-line course.

Dear PC Electrics, your reply has been immensely helpful but Telectrix has just rubbed salt into the wounds!
To bring you up to date, the tradesman in question has been adamant that his costs are reasonable, but I have offered him £100 less based on the advice I heve received, and the discussion continues.
I am very grateful for your clear, comprehensive advice - I will not be caught again, I hope...

£500 reasonable for 3 hours work + maybe £150 for parts.... MY ARSE.

Reply to Changing Towel Rail elements - is this reasonable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net