Discuss ELEMENT - electric rad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Buffyrose

DIY
Reaction score
Hi - looking for opinions please so that I respond reasonably rather than as I would actually want to.

Had a towel rail in bathroom. Replaced it with a meatier electric towel radiator to actually heat the room - I did all the calculations to get the correct wattage. Sent details to an electrician - they purchased and fitted.

2 months later, stopped working. Electrician came out and replaced timer. Still didn’t work. Came back again and told me it was the element. Replaced it - and charged me. I argued saying only had it 2 months. He said elements not covered. I didn’t want to fall out and paid.

It’s not my bathroom but for my disabled husband - hence wanting the extra heat. Took me a while to realise room wasn’t very warm, or as warm as I would want. Eventually, about 3 months later I worked it out and checked the element. They’d fitted a 150w element whereas should have been 400+. This was just before Christmas so he said he couldn’t come and replace. He accepted his error. Came Monday and now I see it’s leaking.

I’m SO angry for all I’ve been through ( there’s a lot more as the timer was positioned at skirting board level so initially I was lying on the floor trying to programme the timer to make it work - never realising it was the element ). So angry that my vulnerable husband has shivered most of the winter. But, I suppose those last things are irrelevant, just unfortunate. I feel now like asking for compensation.

Was it fair to charge me for that element? This chap has a company and is a large, respected firm I’ve used for decades, well known in the area - not a fly by night.

Thanks all.

It seems unlikely that the element would be excluded from the original manufacturer's warranty on the towel rail, unless it has been incorrectly installed. Do you have the original paperwork that came with it? That should have been left with you after installation. If not, can you get confirmation from the manufacturers?

The other problems - installing the timer in an unsuitable location, changing the timer when it wasn't the fault, fitting the wrong element, causing a leak - are simply signs of a less competent operative. Mistakes and snags do occur but it seems like you have had an excessive number of them. I would clarify the element warranty situation first, then contact the company and ask them to send someone with suitable knowledge to carry out the work efficiently first time, equipped with the correct new element.

It's a hassle and it's unlikely you're entitled to any compensation, but I think you're perfectly entitled to a working installation as that is what you paid for in the first place. Whether you get the money back for the fitting of the incorrect element probably depends how hard you press them.

It seems unlikely that the element would be excluded from the original manufacturer's warranty on the towel rail, unless it has been incorrectly installed. Do you have the original paperwork that came with it? That should have been left with you after installation. If not, can you get confirmation from the manufacturers?

The other problems - installing the timer in an unsuitable location, changing the timer when it wasn't the fault, fitting the wrong element, causing a leak - are simply signs of a less competent operative. Mistakes and snags do occur but it seems like you have had an excessive number of them. I would clarify the element warranty situation first, then contact the company and ask them to send someone with suitable knowledge to carry out the work efficiently first time, equipped with the correct new element.

It's a hassle and it's unlikely you're entitled to any compensation, but I think you're perfectly entitled to a working installation as that is what you paid for in the first place. Whether you get the money back for the fitting of the incorrect element probably depends how hard you press them.
Brilliant idea to look for original paperwork - I don’t think I got any, only for the timer but I’ll check and thank you for your positivity and rational view.

Reply to ELEMENT - electric rad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net