• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Cheapest Method- Float Switch to GSM SMS alart in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Boat-renovation.com

Hello all I'm fairly new to the forum I'm writing a post about cellphone bilge alarms on my website.

I want to use a GSM device relay to send a message when my float switch is activated on my boat.
All I can find is devices that send SMS messages to open doors etc- I want the opposite.

Is there a simple and cheap device out there that I can connect to my float switch to send a SMS message when its on.

Thankyou for your help - I will credit any contribution :)

I taking that it's not enough that the automatic bilge is automatic? Are you wanting to know how often it bilges to access the extent of your leak?
I personally can't help but read a post on a very early thread about van security where the poster set up an SMS messaging system for when the van was a' rockin' and it was successful for him. You may be able to PM (private message) him if he's still around.
Others will also come up with ideas.
Welcome to the forum Bristol!

I have designed and built a SMS warning system from a very old phone 3 quid as soon as the gits start tampering i get an SMS message easy built and great peace of mind
Mayfair was last around on 16 Dec but is in alacante in Spain - PM him and see if you get a reply.

I taking that it's not enough that the automatic bilge is automatic? Are you wanting to know how often it bilges to access the extent of your leak?
I personally can't help but read a post on a very early thread about van security where the poster set up an SMS messaging system for when the van was a' rockin' and it was successful for him. You may be able to PM (private message) him if he's still around.
Others will also come up with ideas.
Welcome to the forum Bristol!

Basically the idea being that when your away from your boat you would be notified if it's sinking haha!
That would most likely be what I'm after - just something that sends as opposes to receive. ill take a look now

You could always set up another automatic bilge as the chances of them both not performing is slim, especially if they have separate or backup power supplies (PV and battery)

Plenty of old phones around to have a mess about with - not sure which one best. Try you tube but stay away from key words like "det0nati0n" in case you get the FBI knocking on the port side to find you with a soldering iron, a dozen mobile phones and fuel containers - I think I watch too much NCIS!

Plenty of old phones around to have a mess about with - not sure which one best. Try you tube but stay away from key words like "det0nati0n" in case you get the FBI knocking on the port side to find you with a soldering iron, a dozen mobile phones and fuel containers - I think I watch too much NCIS!
hahahaha
You've got a very good point that wouldn't look so great. My picture of Trump with a dart through his head wouldn't do me any favours ethier

Worth every penny of £57 I say - the number of applications that it can be used for is great. Be a fun project making the adaptable enclosure as well. I may go out and buy me a leaky boat!

I prefer my boat the way it is. I don't have bilge. Any stern tube leakage is collected in a plastic crate and pumped from there at the end of a day's cruising. It only drips when running so it doesn't have a float switch. The only time the bilge pump gets a drink is when I pull it up and drop it in a bucket of water to test it.

I like to build my own electronic stuff but at £57 I'd probably opt for this ready-made device or equivalent: A5 GSM Alarm Auto-Dialer and SMS Sender - https://www.adventcontrols.co.uk/products/gsm-alarm-auto-dialer-sms-sender-for-burglar-alarm-dvr
The two inputs could be used for Pump Running (normal float sw) and High Level (auxiliary float sw). The return channel could be used to force the pump on if a float switch fault is suspected.

I think this is what I'm after! - looks like it does everything I'd want - Nice one!

Had to add that to the post it made me laugh !

Hello all I'm fairly new to the forum I'm writing a post about cellphone bilge alarms on my website.

I want to use a GSM device relay to send a message when my float switch is activated on my boat.
All I can find is devices that send SMS messages to open doors etc- I want the opposite.

Is there a simple and cheap device out there that I can connect to my float switch to send a SMS message when its on.

Thankyou for your help - I will credit any contribution :)

hi pal

this is exactly what you are looking for and extremely reliable as i have fitted 50+ and they are flawless. all it requires is a 12v trigger.

A5 GSM Alarm Auto-Dialer and SMS Sender - https://www.adventcontrols.co.uk/products/gsm-alarm-auto-dialer-sms-sender-for-burglar-alarm-dvr

Reply to Cheapest Method- Float Switch to GSM SMS alart in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back