Discuss Circuit breaker keeps tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
15 amp Eaton breaker controls office and 3 hallway lights. 9 year old house. 200 amp panel.. Wind storm last week, breaker tripped. Re set it on, but it keeps tripping. Figured it was toast, so ordered a couple new breakers. (None in stock locally). Pulled an identical breaker from the panel and wired it in. It also tripped off, with a little spark. Any thoughts?

15 amp Eaton breaker controls office and 3 hallway lights. 9 year old house. 200 amp panel.. Wind storm last week, breaker tripped. Re set it on, but it keeps tripping. Figured it was toast, so ordered a couple new breakers. (None in stock locally). Pulled an identical breaker from the panel and wired it in. It also tripped off, with a little spark. Any thoughts?

Something is causing a short or an overload. Needs some testing to be done on that circuit.

Any outside lighting etc. which may have got damaged or waterlogged in the storm?

It's interesting that you should ask about outside lighting being damaged. Right after the storm, I found an outside GFCI completely melted. The inside switch that controls the GFCI is in the same box as the switch for the office lights. Maybe a short in the gang box?

I know it’s been a long time since you posted this question but if you chang breakers and it still Tripp’s then you have a dead short somewhere

Reply to Circuit breaker keeps tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net