Discuss CIS, becoming self employed.. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SparkieBusiness

Hi all,
I am a bit confused with this CIS stuff.

I have recently finished college and become a qualified sparks (on paper anyways).

I have found someone to kindly take me on and give me practical experience when he can; and when I don’t have to look after my kids (as this is currently my full time job!)

I have been offered work for a week during July, payment e.g. tax is to be paid through CIS.
I have contacted them (CIS) to find out what I need to do and they have told me to do nothing until I have worked a full day’s work as self-employed?

Is this right? Has anyone recently gone through this process and can give me more help that the people at CIS can? lol

Thanks in advance all

Tyrone
:confused:

hardly worth the bother for a week, cant he just pay cash in hand.

anyways cis is usually used for subcontractors to make jumping between jobs easier. they charge you a nominal fee and deduct your tax and pay it to the tax man (not the full ammount but pretty much most of it) you will still be responsible for your own ni.
if you will secure regular work through him then this is a good option

mmmmmmmmm I registered as self employed a few weeks back WHAT A ******* Joke the tax office CIS office NI office are couldnt orginise an orgy in a brothel in amsterdam

that aside 1 weeks works not worth going down the CIS route as till u get your UTR they take 30% tax ( claimed back through self assesment at end of tax year) its a PAIN watch out how much they are paying you as well bear in mind NI , Holiday ,insurances,petrol,vehicle ect ect Im having a great time company Im subbied to put me up when workin away from home giving me 1hr travel time per day as well no over time rates tho but its work and been constant for past 5 weeks now been told might be getting "slightly more permanant" we will wait and see what happens

Cheers Mogga,
I’m only working here and there when I can get the work.
I'm limited to weekends and school holidays as my wife is a teacher and I am currently looking after our son in the week.
I'm eager to get experience as I have only recently qualified as an electrician.
I have to call CIS again once i have completed a days’ work as Self-employed before i can register as one, (annoying)

soon as your registered as selfemployed you should be able to get your CIS number, before 2007 they would send you a CIS card, since 2007 you just have a number, this is usually the same number as your UTR Tax number. CIS Helpline on Tel 0845 366 7899 also worth knowing that not all work has to be paid through CIS it depends on the type of work you are carrying out, eg fire alarms, intruder alarms, maintanince doesnt come under CIS.

how it works is basicly if your paid £1000 a week, the firm your working for will stop 20% (£200) and pay that money to the tax man and then pay you the remainder £800. At the end of the month the firm will give you a CIS certificate stating how much you have been paid and how much tax they have paid on your behalf, it is important that you get this as you will need it as proof of paying tax, at the end of the tax year you or your accountant will work out how much tax you should pay less what you have already paid, if this sum is lower than what you have already paid through CIS then HMRC, tax man, will pay you a rebate

Lots of info at: HM Revenue & Customs: Construction Industry Scheme

when you registed as self employed they send you a UTR. unique tax reference. this means the revenue know its you from the number, any contractor employing you, ie builders or the like has to verify you for CIS thru this UTR, they then keep 20% of your labour costs ( NOT materials) and make monthly returns to the HMRC, they give you a statement which you keep and show your accountant basically saying youve already paid tax on this money
its just a government con to make sure people dont get away with anything
and the contractor gets fined if doesnt comply with it and has to pay the 20% tax on your labour costs himself if hasnt deducted it from you

this country SUCKS !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to CIS, becoming self employed.. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net