Discuss CIS help please.... as an employer in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning chaps...

Will ring HMRC helpline tomorrow when open but if someone can help today would be good.

In the process of trying to set it up so I can pay my subby properly this coming year and pay his tax.

Have been on HMRC website:

- clicked that I want to register as an employer/organisation

- get this screen : https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration/organisation?httpmethod=post

- click on top left : CIS

- Then it asks me to enter my :Employers reference & Accounts office reference ??

Any idea on these please... says accounts office ref should be on my PAYE payslip, well havent had one of these for many years now ??

Thanku,

Sy

Last edited:
You will have to register as an employer for PAYE with HMRC, not just as a contractor with CIS.
They will then send you your employer's reference etc.
Should be able to do so on the HMRC website.

Ok thankyou.... will give it another try..... how long do you reckon it takes to set it all up, was hoping to pay matey's CIS from this Friday.

When I did it a few years back, it took a couple of weeks before I got the PAYE information back, but I didn't register on line, so it may be quicker for you.
It's been a while since I did the CIS as an employer, so things may have changed.
When you employ someone, you have to verify them them by phoning the CIS enquirey line.
This is to check that they are registered, and what rate of tax you should deduct (20% if registered, 30% if not).
Every month, you will have to submit a CIS return, detailing who you are employing, whether they are verified, how much you have paid them and how much tax you have deducted.
My months ran from the 6th to the 5th, and my return had to be submitted by the 18th. I think the dates are standard, but it may be that they run from when you first register with CIS (i.e. if you register on the 10th your dates will be from the 10th to the 9th, best check with CIS).
Once you are registered, you will have to submit and pay any PAYE/CIS tax deducted every 3 months, to the PAYE people (not to the CIS people), you have to do this, even if you haven't paid anyone during the 3 months. You can offset any tax you have had deducted against any you owe.
As matey's pay day will be after the 6th of April, you should have untill the 18th of May to sort everything out, and make any adjustments if required.

Reply to CIS help please.... as an employer in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net