Discuss City and Guilds 2356, NVQ Level 3....... COMING TO AN END!!! *A MUST READ* in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rthor1981

Fellow Sparks!

I have worked in the industry since i left school (12 years ago) off my own back i completed night school for 3 years at my local college doing the City and Guilds 2360 part 1 and 2 (7 years ago) i have also got both my 2382-10 17th edition and City and Guilds 2391. recently after i applied for the JIB gold card i discovered that i am only graded (by them) as an electrical improver/Trainee! They Informed me that to complete my qualifications and be graded as an electrician i must undertake City and Guilds 2356, NVQ Level 3!?

My first question is does anyone know anyway round this? I have sent 2 seperate references from previous employers stating that i have actually ran Jobs and yet JIB still wont grade me any differently!

My local college runs this at a price of £1800 but will need to do various assesments and actually come and visit me on site!! This will not go down well amongst site foremen and electricians underneath me, that i am having to have trainers out to asses my work!!

SECONDLY! And this is the BIG one! Having spoke to City and Guilds Directly they have informed me that the C&G 2356 is actually changing to the C&G 2357! and if i have not registered for my 2356 by July 2012 all my previous City and Guilds qualifications will no longer be recognised!!!!!!!!!!! I can see there is going to be alot of very very unhappy people come August!!

If anyone has got any info whatsoever regards this please HELP! I certainly dont want to be starting from scratch regards my qualifications for this so i am actually looking to get this sorted asap in the quickest time possible!

Do what I have just done. I was in exactly the same position as you - done the 2330, 17th Edition and 2391. Everyone was saying you need the nvq3 etc etc. Just signed upto DELTA Training. Doing Nvq3 online. No site visits just photo evidence and witness statements 714.00 all in. Must cheaper than a college!

Hi Rthor1981

You are actually very luck the cutoff date for the NVQ was July last year and has been extended to July this year 2012. I have had the same experience with JIB (Nightmare) so you are better to get the qualification as soon as you can. Please do not pay 1800 for the course you can do it for £650 like i did with trade-skills.com and you can do it while you are working and collecting on-site evidence and uploading all your information and photos on an online portfolio. Plus it only takes 10 weeks the guys there are really helpful and helped me achieve my qualifications.

http://www.trade-skills.com/city&guilds-2356-31-nvq/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rthor1981You are actually very luck the cut off date for the NVQ was July last year and has been extended to July this year 2012. I have had the same experiance with JIB (Nightmare) so you are better to get the qualification as soon as you can. Please do not pay 1800 for the course you can do it for £650 like i did with trade-skills.com and you can do it while you are working and collecting on-site evedance and uploading all your infomation and photos on an oline portfolio. Plus it only takes 10 weeks the guys there are really helpfull and helped me achive my quals.
Btw its 650 plus vat with trade skills much cheaper with delta training. Celectrical is advertising trade-skills because he is one of their agents!

No there are no site visits, i put the link on the last post for you worth a look at least

And further to popular belief i do not work as an agent, just done all my training with them and a very happy customer

Was in the same position as you Rthor1981. I'd certainly advise you did it as soon as possible cos ive heard that 2357 malarky is a right ball ache. Trade skills sold it to me and tbh i can't complain despite them being slightly more expensive then delta. Managed to get it cracked off within 6 weeks, but had to wait another 4 weeks before it could be submitted, but nonetheless ive finally got it out of the way! The tutor knows his stuff and was a good laugh aswell!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your previous qualifications will be recognised and anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar, however, you will never be formally recognised as fully qualified, no matter how good you are, untill you have completed the NVQ and AM2. When the 2356 becomes obsolete all sparks who wish to be recognised as fully qualified will have to do is get on the 2357 NVQ. As others have said, TradeSkills4U will be one of the better and cheaper places to complete it. What others have failed to mention is that for the 2357 NVQ to be recognised you would need to complete the 2357 conversion course which I believe is only a couple of days at college.

This will be seen by most as a pain in the backside however ultimately, there is very little difference between the 2356 and the 2357 NVQ other than the little conversion course you need to complete if you haven't completed the 2357 main course but are qualified to an equivalent standard (2330, 2360 etc...)

Last edited:
do these online courses count as a proper qualification as im very tempted todot hat as like yourself im in the same position

done my 2330 and 17th i started the nvq but due to lack of work my acessor said no point carrying on as i was wasting my own money

I am currently doing mine with Delta, very happy with the way it is going assessor on hand for any advice or help that is required

do these online courses count as a proper qualification as im very tempted todot hat as like yourself im in the same position

done my 2330 and 17th i started the nvq but due to lack of work my acessor said no point carrying on as i was wasting my own money

Yes they still count as proper qualifications

I did mine with Delta as I had read many posts on the forum on how good they were I had the choice of a few and could of got it cheaper but after reading the recommendations on here I decided to go with Delta

Hi There. First time poster here. Sorry for jumping in here with probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if you can answer my question?
I am an electrician with C&G 2360 pt 1 and 2 passed in 2004 and 2005, also a NVQ level 3 Electrical installation (building and structures) passed in 2006, AM2 passed in 2006, C&G 17th edition update passed in 2008 and C&G Pat testing passed in 2008.
I am just wondering due to not working in the industry full time only as and when I can for an electrician friend of mine scince 2009 due to having to look after my unwell mother, will I need the new NVQ to gain employment and Part p as I am looking to return full time in 2 - 3 months doing my own work hopefully, due to change of situation? Hope you can help me out as I have asked others and didn't really get a certain answer.
Thanks alot
Andy

It’s of no interest to me now but I can understand your confusion and annoyance caused by the C&G shifting qualifications around. Yet again!

If you hold a qualification all be it a few years out of date, it proves you had the skill and knowledge required at the time! They can’t take it away from you!

My C&G (Electrical Technician) was issued by the Union of Lancashire and Cheshire Institutes in 1975.

EITB J02 & J22 was even harder to get, but nobody even knows what they are now. 3 years of constant observation by supervisors marking every bit of your work took a lot of commitment from you and your company. (I’ve got bragging rights here) I was the first apprentice in the country to finish the course while still serving my time.

OK I’ve got a Mickey Mouse C&G 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition from 2009. There have been a lot of others in between, “Gas Safe” I’m chuffed about having. It’s not for domestic, but industrial gasses (which includes natural gas at 7 bar).

I wonder what the JIB would make of me! Not that I give a stuff.

It’s unfair to move goal posts for tradesmen established in the industry. It’s like a prison sentence, you’ve done your time, proved you’re safe to be let out in to the community but some money grubbing parasite latches on to you and moves things around.

I’m proud of being a part of this industry, but I despair at the way it’s going. If I went to the JIB today (not that I ever have in the past) I’d be lucky to be the site TEA BOY!

Thanks for all the advice guys and i certainly agree with Tony these constant moving goal posts are a complete nightmare! What will it be next!

I spoke to both Trade Skills Ltd and Delta yesterday afternoon and have decided to go with the Trade Skills. Both sounded great and straight forward but Trade Skills were a little more imformative and also do an interest free payment plan which has really helped me out they also price matched with Delta because there were 2 of us so cant complain at all!

Reply to City and Guilds 2356, NVQ Level 3....... COMING TO AN END!!! *A MUST READ* in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net