Discuss City and Guilds 2391 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joel

Hi, I am a time served J.I.B. approved electrician currently working on railway infrastructure. I have the 17th edition regs. and 30 years experience. I want to study for the electrical test and inspection certificate and I would like some help/advice in choosing the best way to gain this qualification as there are several options available.
My local college (college of north west London) offers I think a 12 week evening course, other places offer 3 or 4 day intensive options.
I have noticed also some home study packs. I understand the course is difficult so the intensive option may not be the best bet.
I have encountered many people who have passed the C&G 2391 but have limited experience and do not understand many basic electrical principles.
Any advice will be gratefully received.

I've always found that the college route is best, not least because they are not (entirely) in it just for the money. Check with your local college and perhaps ask to meet the tutor to discuss the best way to get the qually with your knowledge and experience.

Steve.

The twelve week evening course may give you a chance to put into practice what you you learn in the days between your evening lessons. But as experienced as you are, unless you have no test and inspection experience, I sure you should nt struggle with the intensive course too. Just ask others who opinions you can trust how reputable the colleges/training centres are, as its alot of money to waste on a half --- course.

College mate.

You don't need to know electrical principles to be a 2391 test engineer. The nearest principle you are going to get is the Zs + Ze + (R1+R2) formula. You need to know whether an installation complies with BS7671 and thats about it.

Reply to City and Guilds 2391 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net