Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Cloakroom Extractor Fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. TicTax

TicTax New EF Member

Hi All,

I'm installing a new extractor fan in my downstairs loo. The wall that the fan will be mounted to backs on to my garage and the ducting runs in to there before turning 90 degrees and exiting through the roof. This is a ducting run of around 4m.

Given that the downstairs loo is just that and doesn't contain a shower, it'll never be humid. Therefore, with a ducting run that long, can I install an axial fan or does it have to be centrifugal? I'd prefer axial because frankly they're less of an eye-sore.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
    Robin.

2. Bellendian

Bellendian Regular EF Member

Building regs don't specify extraction for a wc alone, so I'd suggest that you can do what you like. If you want it to be effective then try to use rigid ducting rather than flexi as it results in lower losses since it's smooth.

3. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

I had exactly this problem when my new cloakroom was installed. Builder said I must have a fan, and it is internal, no window. he installed the cheapest, flush fitting fan, and the ducting runs down the cavity wall, under the house and basement, to an outlet on the gable end, in all about 10 metres. Result? The fan extracted the air until the fan stopped running, and the compressed air simply returned through the grille, no use whatsoever...yer far*s just came back!
    I fitted a centrifugal fan, and it does the job very well. It has back-draught shutters, too. Ok, it sticks out from the wall a bit, but it would be possible to recess it. Next time, as I have a nice cavity to work with (ooh, missus!) I will install an inline fan behind the wall, or in the ceiling cavity. BTW, just a Manrose centrifugal fan from screwfix, not expensive, and 15 years on I replaced it last month for exactly the same model.

• Like Like x 2
  4. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Just vent into the garage. :D

5. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Do you have a fire collar so a fire in the garage does not come into the house?

6. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    I thought you lived on a ship?

7. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

I do! But I am a weekend sailor now.....alas.