Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Commercial EICR - Your opinion? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. HomeCert ltd

HomeCert ltd Active EF Member

Business Name:
    HomeCert Ltd
    Hi All,

Being doing a commercial EICR over night (7-7) for the past week, still got a good few nights to go.

The installation is most likely 40-50 years old, was originally done well. About 5 years ago they had another contractor redo a lot of the electrics to accommodate the current owner. The previous electricains work is unreal, he has completely ruined the installation.

I'm not 100% sure how to approach this. There's a lot a minor things which need doing which I will report back, but the lighting in some of the areas is unreal. The previous contractor had used SY cable everywhere, not correctly terminated at any point, which I found out is carrying a healthy 157v on the braiding. Basically every earth has been cut out throughout the lighting, mainly class 2 fittings, but due to the fact a lot of he circuits are new and all the existing work has an earth, would that be a C2. As it should comply with when he installed it.

Also getting 287v back down a neutral when not connected via a circuit fed by a Seperate DB on the other side. Earths used as feeds in some cases, some lighting circuits supplied via 2/3 circuits, all with no CPC and low IR. Due to the fact it's suspended ceilings everywhere etc... I was thinking it might just be easy to just redo a lot of the lighting instead of trying to break it down and see what's salvageable.

What would any of you do?

2. diditrain

diditrain Electrician's Arms

Submit your unsatisfactory report and get paid. Then discuss both options with the client.
    If it`s as bad as you say, then it may take you as long and cost as much to rectify, than to rip it out and start again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    You are doing the report at the moment so continue with that until complete but it maybe prudent to advise your client of the nature of the findings so far to prewarn them, but only provide full detail in the report or you may miss things and may be asked to stop the report.
    The lighting is bad and the crossover of circuits is very worrying.
    You state mainly class II fittings which means some are not class II so lack of earthing would be a C2 classification.
    It may be easiest to keep light fittings and replace wiring runs but the layout of the circuits will determine the most appropriate method of rectification.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Concentrate on compiling a concise Report and using your judgement, suitably Code any issues. Do not fall into the trap of drifting to remedial solutions which will divert you from the task at hand.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

It’s a shame when an old but perfectly useable installation is butchered by some body who doesn’t know and/or care what they are doing.
    I’ve come across it all too often.....although nothing as bad as you describe.
    Basically condemn it with C2 and FI comments where needed and as others have mentioned, worry about sorting it out later on when the report is completed.

6. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I am puzzled. 157v on braiding? Is that not a real and immediate risk of electric shock? If so would it not warrant a C1. In which case the person ordering the work should be informed in writing and the inspection halted until that situation has been dealt with???

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    I take it this is where the old installation has been adapted by the electrician that installed the new lighting?

8. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Sounds a bit dramatic:screamcat:

9. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Yeh might be a bit dramatic for you if you contact such voltage as well.

10. westward10

I meant halting the inspection. I am three quarters through an 800+ plus test and if I took this type of action I would be downing tools every hour.

11. HomeCert ltd

Business Name:
    HomeCert Ltd
    I agree, I wouldn't stop the inspection due to an issue like this. Simply make safe if possible or as I did, tape over the braiding which was exposed for the time being, with dozens of pictures etc... and note everything on report.

12. HomeCert ltd

Business Name:
    HomeCert Ltd
    Always good to know how others carry out their work, when doing an EICR would you simply test the IR on a DB as a whole. Did a 48 way board the other night, low IR with a 3 pole main switch, so went through one by one to identify one circuit which was low. But I remember when I was taught the guy who taught be said not to do that, record low IR for the board as a whole and then call for further investigation to identify any specific circuits.

13. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

I suppose it depends on different things.
    What your quote or allows for.
    Agreements made with the client beforehand.
    Relationship with the client and what they expect.
    Time scales, etc.
    If it's not a quite recently installed job, without additions or alterations (in other words, a dream), it would be very unusual to be able to do a successful global IR test on such a board.

14. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

If you could get extra time doing testing, which in my opinion, is part of the job anyway, good luck....but not my way....nor yours, I feel.

15. westward10

Rarely do a global IR as I generally work large commercial or industrial sites and from past experience it rarely pans out unless it is a few rudimentary circuits.

• Agree Agree x 1