Discuss Company Van/Previous Disqualification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks. Thinking of applying for an electrical maintenance job with my local housing association. On their ad it states as a requirement ‘clean driving licence’.

Here’s the shameful bit. I was banned from driving in 2016 for a year, I was over the legal limit the following morning of a night out and was arrested for drink driving. Terrible time of my life and wouldn’t contemplate it again.

Its been just over 4 years since it happened, so on any insurance quotes I still have to declare it, I do up until 5 years after it happening.

Even though a disqualification certainly doesn’t look good, it’s technically still a clean licence, I have no points for speeding etc. Does anyone have any idea if I need to come clean about it should I be offered a job? Or should I perhaps wait till it’s been 5 years before I contemplate applying for such job? I have also heard rumours that company vehicles insurance policies will need to know of any disqualifications for 10 YEARS!! ? not sure if that’s a rumour though, can anyone shed any light?

thanks in advance guys.

Honesty is the best policy.
If you are able, ask the interviewer if it will make a difference. You'll at least be in with a chance of getting the job, whereas if you wait another year the you miss this chance.
If you apply and don't disclose it, when they find out, they will not be happy that you didn't tell them. Take the bull by the horns...

Nothing ventured-nothing gained so go for it. Win or lose at least you failed trying rather than failed to try. That being said, tricky!, Employment law is again different to insurance company requirements and disclosure at interview. I think you should get some advice generally about employment law and the requirements of disclosure. No potential employer is allowed to enquire of any previous criminal or civil acts, so they can't right out ask you any such thing. Clearly you must at some point disclose the matter to your employers, however not in such a way as to prejudice your chances of getting gainfully employed. So bottom line get some legal advice on the matter.

Declare it.
You'll be asked to show your licence before or on the first day of employment or as in my last 15 years or so of employment you'll be asked to sign to agree to allow a third party company to check and monitor your licence.
If your licence isn't "clean" by their definition you won't be starting employment.
Whether "clean" applies in the O.P case I can't say for sure.

I agree, be honest.

And much as I hate driving driving, I can't honestly say there hasn't been a time over the years when I might have been borderline the day after. That's why I don't drive the day after at all if I can help it.

Best ask the question before you go to any interview. It may be that the company van insurance will cost a lot more so they may not want to employ you on that basis. On the other hand they will appreciate honesty and may not be an issue. We had a guy come for a job. . Managed to blag his way through the interview. But got booted out on his first day when he turned up with a photocopy of his driving licence. He would not give us his prommision to contact the DVLA to confirm his licence which made us suspicious . A quick Google of his name and address and found that's he was in the local paper showing he was still band from driving!!!

Shut up - I'm trying to pretend that I'm not approaching that date on my licence, and you aren't helping...
So you're coming up to 70 then?

I've got an English friend who's lived in France for 15 years, he was 70 around 2 weeks ago and has now lost his licence and is unable to drive.
He blames Brexit, I blame the French for c*cking up the Uk to French licence exchange process.

Reply to Company Van/Previous Disqualification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net