Discuss Con or not?!? City and Guilds 2391 to 2394 and 2395 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm new to this and I think we all need to take a deep breath. I teach all electrical courses and before anyone brings up the old "if you can't do, teach" please let me assure you that I have 38 years working experience, have worked all over the world had my own business for 20 years, which continues to be run by my old apprentice, I still "keep my hand in" and I still have much to learn!

2391, 2394, 2395? the're are all much of a muchness really, except for the photographs in the assessment and these can be tricky. It could be said, in the past, that testing is testing is testing! and that any electrical training remains essentially the same. This would be true but for the new challenges we face, harmonics, which will develop over the future years and.....the mere mention can cause heart attacks.....the AM2, which is now compulsory. I would say that this, is the difficult aspect now. you can be good at taking exams and even better at doing "multi guess" but there is no hiding in the AM2 centre and the first time pass rate is quite low (around 30%).

lets face it, all the stuff you did in any of the electrical courses we all took, will never be actually used! so why do we do it? well, City and guilds logic. Good tradesman are problem solvers, they can come up with ideas to get over a situation, so how do we attract problem solvers? we get people that can "do maths" to a certain level!

If in doubt, always look to the electricans eutopia......Canada, they have always insisted on all British electricians holding the AM2 cert in order to gain a Canadian license.

Oh, and yes, I'm afraid the 2396, at the moment, is not worth it. it's a bit like the old C certificate that we all took, not much good jobwise, but no knowledge is wasted.

Be lucky and remember:

You're not working for the client, nor the boss and not even yourself! You're working for the electrician that follows you. Always have him/her in mind

I'm new to this and I think we all need to take a deep breath. I teach all electrical courses and before anyone brings up the old "if you can't do, teach" please let me assure you that I have 38 years working experience, have worked all over the world had my own business for 20 years, which continues to be run by my old apprentice, I still "keep my hand in" and I still have much to learn!

2391, 2394, 2395? the're are all much of a muchness really, except for the photographs in the assessment and these can be tricky. It could be said, in the past, that testing is testing is testing! and that any electrical training remains essentially the same. This would be true but for the new challenges we face, harmonics, which will develop over the future years and.....the mere mention can cause heart attacks.....the AM2, which is now compulsory. I would say that this, is the difficult aspect now. you can be good at taking exams and even better at doing "multi guess" but there is no hiding in the AM2 centre and the first time pass rate is quite low (around 30%).

lets face it, all the stuff you did in any of the electrical courses we all took, will never be actually used! so why do we do it? well, City and guilds logic. Good tradesman are problem solvers, they can come up with ideas to get over a situation, so how do we attract problem solvers? we get people that can "do maths" to a certain level!

If in doubt, always look to the electricans eutopia......Canada, they have always insisted on all British electricians holding the AM2 cert in order to gain a Canadian license.

Oh, and yes, I'm afraid the 2396, at the moment, is not worth it. it's a bit like the old C certificate that we all took, not much good jobwise, but no knowledge is wasted.

Be lucky and remember:

You're not working for the client, nor the boss and not even yourself! You're working for the electrician that follows you. Always have him/her in mind

what a 1st post, welcome by the way.

just wondering how you ended up on this thread.

Reply to Con or not?!? City and Guilds 2391 to 2394 and 2395 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net