Currently reading:
concentric cable ???

Discuss concentric cable ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tom79bmth

Hi all

Just a quick question what is the bs name for concentric cable that the db use for tncs and what size do they usually use on a single house thanks

If you have a look at cable manufacturers websites and search for concentric cable they will usually identify the appropriate British standard.
However since cables are covered by a variety of standards such as BEN60228 for the design of conductors for cables and BSEN60811 for test methods for insulation there may not be only one standard applicable.
The one I have just found as being the most commonly referred to is BS7870.

To be honest, i've only ever seen 35mm concentric being used by the DNO for domestic, small commercial installations. They tend to purchase a one size fits all for these installations, and as stated 35mm aluminium is the going size for a 100A supply... Though looking at the cable dia, it could be easily be excused for looking like a 16mm cable... lol!!

No, around here, which is WPD, it's definitely 16mm Al with Cu spiral. I've got some, and I've also had to work with it on DNO kit that's transferred to private (don't ask).

No, around here, which is WPD, it's definitely 16mm Al with Cu spiral. I've got some, and I've also had to work with it on DNO kit that's transferred to private (don't ask).

Well i wouldn't feel happy with a 16mm Ally concentric or split concentric cable with a 100A BS 88 protecting it. A 60A fuse i probably wouldn't be too phased about!! lol!!

Maybe that's also why they only fit 80A fuses, who knows. They seem to make it up as they go along anyway!!

Well i wouldn't feel happy with a 16mm Ally concentric or split concentric cable with a 100A BS 88 protecting it. A 60A fuse i probably wouldn't be too phased about!! lol!!
It could be 400A fuses in the sub station "protecting the cable" The assumption is the service cable will burn open circuit in the event of a fault. Substation fuses do not protect cables they are there to grade with the HV protection for the local TX.

Reply to concentric cable ??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock