Discuss Confused about domestic work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparrrrk

Hi all,

I'm a newbie so please go easy on me. I am just a little confused at what domestic work I am allowed to do. Without going into a whole novel I will just jump right in.

I am a fully qualified approved electrician working for a company. I also have 2391 testing and inspection.

I have just been asked to wire a family members shower circuit. I would like to do it as its a straight forward job (apart from the cable run grrr) however even though I am approved and I have testing, I do not have part p. Also I am only covered by NIC when I am working for my company.

Am I allowed to do the job?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before.

As it's a new circuit and in a special location it's notifiable. You either have to be part of a competent person scheme, get building control involved (normally an extortionate cost) or have it tested/notified by a third party who is part of a competent person scheme that allows third party certification.

Or.......as it's a family member just go ahead and do the job, test it as you normally would and fill in domestic installation certificate that you can print of the net. As long as you are competent to do so which I don't doubt from your quals.:icon7:

Last edited:
agree with lee and bigdav. just do it, test and certify. time these bloodsucking scams were closed down. they do nothing for the trade and even less for consumer safety.

The P is to prevent cowboys working on electrical installs within homes, or so we are told.
It doesn't and your not one anyway.
Just get the job sorted, after all the cable was installed within the period just after the colors changed, and before part P came into force.
You just changed the shower on a like for like basis and issued a minor works. Didn't you !!

Thanks for the replies chaps. Got a friend signing it off for me mates rates! What really grinds my gears is if the shower was already installed I could go in fill out an EICR to say it's all satisfactory however I can't certify my own work. Grrrr. Money making schemes!!

Thanks for the replies chaps. Got a friend signing it off for me mates rates! What really grinds my gears is if the shower was already installed I could go in fill out an EICR to say it's all satisfactory however I can't certify my own work. Grrrr. Money making schemes!!

Why can't you certify your own work?

Sorry wrong phrasing. What I meant was it's annoying that I can EICR an entire domestic installation however i cannot test and certify any notfiable work I do as I'm not part of a scheme.

I'm only part of a scheme while carrying out works for the company I'm employed at.

^^^^^^ Yes, all electrical installation work needs to be certified whether you are with a scam or not.
You don't have to be registered with a scam to certify any of your work but you do need to be registered to notify, if it needs notifying.

Jay

Last edited:
Simple fact is notifying to labc without being with a scheme provider involves unacceptable costs if your doing it on a regular basis.
Which is why being with a scheme provider does have a financial advantage to you long term.
Just remember its a cash cow so use it to suit you not them.
And don't get drawn in by all the hype regarding products books and courses you will probably rarely if ever need in the real world.
After all. We are all trying to make a living in a very diluted trade, with more regulations and come backs than most other trades, but with very little recognition, support, or respect for doing a good job for a fair price vs the cheap and cheerful hit and run boys.

Reply to Confused about domestic work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net