Discuss Conservatories/extra room in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the new room is a proper room the BC's normally ask for the existing patio doors to be replaced with conventional doors

Why are you trying to avoid involving BC?

I guess just to keep things simple but I'm not against the idea.

We've discussed having a prefabricated extension and replacing the patio doors with some bi fold doors etc so the room can be a quiet study away from the kids

We’ve had our conservatory for about 2 years now & love it.
But I would reckon a couple of extras,we weren’t advised on the little things that make a good conservatory.
Under floor heating for winter.
AC for summer.
Windows doors,with built in blinds.
Definitely glass roof,no blinds required on these.
We’ve also got glass all round,no dwarf wall.

We’ve had our conservatory for about 2 years now & love it.
But I would reckon a couple of extras,we weren’t advised on the little things that make a good conservatory.
Under floor heating for winter.
AC for summer.
Windows doors,with built in blinds.
Definitely glass roof,no blinds required on these.
We’ve also got glass all round,no dwarf wall.

Why not a dwarf wall? Underfloor hearing would be simple enough. Air conditioning units are reasonable price now.

Bet doors with blinds inside would be expensive? More cost effective to just have blinds fitted?

Agree against conservatory, we had one, best day ever was when it was knocked down and the light returned.
It leaked, the temperature issues even North facing, it was just a dumping ground for garden tools

That's all it will be used for really. The loft hatch would have to be moved.

The conservatory we were looking at is 10k. We can easily do a decent loft conversion for half of that
You are not talking about a decent loft conversion, even a dormer is not a proper loft conversion. Save your money make do and in the future build something decent that will push up your happiness rating and will give you a return on your investment, conservatories can be a liability.

I do know what I am talking about for a change on here regarding building work so Tel, no snide comments okay ;o)))))
Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 09.59.05.jpg

My advice, save the money get the studies all done and dusted go to work and work hard then either extend or move to a larger house. I "think" in Leicester you can buy something decent for ÂŁ250k.

How large is the garden as a shed may be a better option and you can build that yourself sorry I meant Home Office.......

Yeh looked at a garden summer House/study room. We do have a large garden to be fair.

We do like the idea of a conservatory and wouldn't mind doing the work to keep it more manageable (underfloor hearing, air conditioning etc)

If you like the idea of a conservatory you must have some serious kinks in your life at your age.

An an extension on average will add about 11% to the value of a property (depending on finish and standard of fittings) what the value of your property if you don't mind me asking?

This is my planned rear extension project that I am working on now, forget the interior its a stock photo just getting the architectural drawings and planning application sorted out.

upload_2018-8-1_10-55-57.jpeg

If you like the idea of a conservatory you must have some serious kinks in your life at your age.

An an extension on average will add about 11% to the value of a property (depending on finish and standard of fittings) what the value of your property if you don't mind me asking?

160k.

Problem best quote we have had for similar sized extension is 16-17k. Way above what we can afford

Don't bother, make do and save your money, what I will spend on my refurb is more than what your house is worth.

In your area an extension is only worth considering if you plan on being there for the next 20 years if not don't bother, work hard earn more money upgrade to a larger property in a nicer area closer to better schools, at least you won't be hammered for Stamp Duty like I will be and I don't like the fact that I may have to give HMRC ÂŁ100k for doing absolutely FA.

Reply to Conservatories/extra room in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net