Discuss Consumer unit / Flood in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, NAPIT report was carried out due to flood, all kitchen appliances, wall/light switches, fire/heaters etc need replacing. The electrician added on the quote that the consumer unit needed replacing as not compliant (from 2007 with plastic case). Plus the casing is damaged as a temporary board/wires were connected through casing. He said that due to the new appliance/switches etc the consumer unit needed changing first. Is there any documentation to support this that I can send to my insurance company as they are saying they will not replace. Thank you

Crappy insurance company.

Even if the board was brand new, undamaged… the devices within will be affected by just moisture in the air.

They may be looking at it as replacing like-for-like, but that can’t be done as new electrical work needs to be to new regulations.

Crappy insurance company.

Even if the board was brand new, undamaged… the devices within will be affected by just moisture in the air.

They may be looking at it as replacing like-for-like, but that can’t be done as new electrical work needs to be to new regulations.
Good point about moisture in the air. I have asked the electrician who quoted me to put in writing why he believes it needs changing before any further work is done. I think you are right about them not wanting to change as it will not be like for like but better 😣

I suspect the problem is they have quoted to replace it because it is not compliant due to it being plastic cased, this is not a reason to replace it. If there is no flood damage to it the insurance company are not going to pay for its replacement, replacing switches etc.... is no reason to replace it.

Yes.

The insurance company are specifically looking for items damaged by the flood…. Which they will replace.

If the quote doesn’t say the consumer unit is flood damaged, they won’t take that as part of their responsibility.
Just saying it’s “non compliant” isn’t enough for them.

Reply to Consumer unit / Flood in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net