Discuss Consumer unit meter wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've had an electrician out to my house as I wanted him to remove the trunking that went down from the consumer unit down of the inside wall and then across the outside wall where it threaded through to the meter on the outside.

The electrician said he could chase out the wall so wiring from the meter to the consumer unit is hidden behind the wall and quoted a price I agreed and i also ask if he could put metal trunking round the wires so they were protected and he said no problem.

When he turned up on the agreed date he said he wasn't able to get any metal trunking to put in the wall to protect the wiring and would just put them in the wall.

I left him to do his work and when I came back I found that he had just put the cables from the meter to the consumer unit so they are just behind the plaster, I paid him for his work but i wanted advice on if this is safe as I dont want to plaster over them if there is any risk and if it is dangerous I will look at trying to find another electrician to make it safe.

Thanks again for reading my post and would greatly appreciate any advice on this.

Really should of left the trunking, the tails will need additional protection metal sheathing would be ok, obviously quite thick to avoid penetration of nails etc.
Other than that Rcd protection required.

I've just attached the pictures that show the wires going from the consumer unit to the outside meter. Let me know if you think it's safe and if it isnt will then try and find another electrician to try and sort it our. Thanks again for your help advice I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20210530_100110.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210530_100101.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210530_100050.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 86
Yes, the cables installed like that need protection e.g. steel capping or trunking.
What is the other pipe/conduit below the window that the meter tails cross - incoming water?

I'm thinking I should have left it alone now but I thought the person doing the job knew the best way to sort it. Will leave it the way it is and will not plaster over it until I can find another electrician to fix it. I found him on mybuilder and his feedback looked good. I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a website to find good electricians. The pipes below are water pipes which will be boxed in.

Thanks

this is the bestsite to find a good electrician. failing finding a good one, you could getme. at least i'm in cheshire and usyally sober before 11.0am.
Hi Telectrix that sounds great can you let me know when you could pop round to take a look, I'm in crewe. No rush if your busy as I'm guessing it's safe as long as I indent plaster over it. Just wish I tried this site before.

This is what I'd like to have done and then once its done will try and touch up on my plastering skills :)

Attachments

• wiring layout after outside view.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 51
  • wiring layout after2.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 51
Hi Telectrix that sounds great can you let me know when you could pop round to take a look, I'm in crewe. No rush if your busy as I'm guessing it's safe as long as I indent plaster over it. Just wish I tried this site before.
pm me contact details.and i'll phone you tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for there help and I've decided it makes more sense to put the trunking back as it's just too much work to put it outside.

But what I have found is that I need to get the plaster repaired before the trunking can go back and my plan is too flick the meter isolator switch in the fuse box so it's in the off postition disconnect both wires and pull them through the wires are loose from the wall and plaster.

I just wanted to check that I'm right that in the picture below the isolator switch is the two blue and brown switches on the far right of the picture and once both are pushed down the power is dead and I'm safe to remove the wires without getting a shock.

Attachments

• 20210601_174342.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 37

Reply to Consumer unit meter wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net