Discuss Consumer unit too close to gas meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening
Have to quote on a consumer unit replacement, problem is gas meter is next to existing consumer unit 25 mm between them, they are both in a wooden cupboard,
What would you do

Tricky one. Gas regs need 150 mm I think. Might be worth having a good read of the gas regs and seeing if a barrier of some description solves the problem.
Otherwise its an IP box, din rail, din terminal blocks and move the CU.
Or convince them to move the gas meter!

Maybe this will help:

BS6891-2005

8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services

Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows:

a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units;
b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

My reading of that is that if suitable “electrical insulating material” can be arranged there is no distance limit. I wonder what constitutes such a material. Presumably more than empty pvc trunking.

The only time I’ve had this issue it was not the only problem, trying to find a CU that fitted the space was hard with or without the gas pipe. I’m wondering if that applies to this situation too, e.g. if a rewireable wylex only just fits then fitting anything new in was next to impossible anyway.

Might be easier to insulate the gas piping. There are pvc sheaths that fit around 15mm & 22mm pipe; used cosmetically for radiator pipe drops. For main gas incoming idk maybe wrap some tape around it. Sometimes main gas piping is sleeved with yellow plastic; I guess this negates yhe 15mm away electricals rule !

Might be easier to insulate the gas piping. There are pvc sheaths that fit around 15mm & 22mm pipe; used cosmetically for radiator pipe drops. For main gas incoming idk maybe wrap some tape around it. Sometimes main gas piping is sleeved with yellow plastic; I guess this negates yhe 15mm away electricals rule !

Cant' imagine the decorative pipe sleeving will count as suitable insulating material far as the regs go!

Cant' imagine the decorative pipe sleeving will count as suitable insulating material far as the regs go!
The pipe sleeving is made of PVC, which is an 'electrical insulating material', so why not?
I'd consider dry plywood to be an 'electric insulating material' as well, so I'd be happy with a piece of 6mm plywood dividing the cupboard.

The pipe sleeving is made of PVC, which is an 'electrical insulating material', so why not?
I'd consider dry plywood to be an 'electric insulating material' as well, so I'd be happy with a piece of 6mm plywood dividing the cupboard.

The clip on pipe trim is made of material of an unspecified nature as far as electrical insulation goes. It's only purpose is to make copper rad pipes look acceptable. Must be barely a quarter of a mill thick also.

I would avoid the chrome look alike version, but my IR tester tells me that the white version is an electrical insulating material', so that's good enough for me.

Possibly so. I still don't see it as a professional solution though.

Here's my cu with the gas pipes adjacent, the white pipes are clip around sleeves and the yellow is the gas incomer, the yellow insulation is insitu and part of the pipe when it was installed. I used the CU for Stroma assessment years ago and had no complaints at the time ! And it's not blown up, yet 😀 The DNO replaced the head at the time and no qualms from them either.

20211217_165803.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my cu with the gas pipes adjacent, the white pipes are clip around sleeves and the yellow is the gas incomer, the yellow insulation is insitu and part of the pipe when it was installed. I used the CU for Stroma assessment years ago and had no complaints at the time ! And it's not blown up, yet 😀 The DNO replaced the head at the time and no qualms from them either.

View attachment 93103
QED, I think.

I had this the other day. Needed to replace the old fusebox right next to the incoming gas pipe. Looks like they had a smart gas meter fitted fairly recently and whoever did it has covered the gas pipe with some sort of clear PVC sheath.

I'm assuming this is them covering the pipe with an electrically insulating material to comply with regs?

Reply to Consumer unit too close to gas meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net