Discuss Converting a Class I Lamp Post into Class II - Possible?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joe S

-
Reaction score
I have a customer who is developing his land and by doing so has built a large pond. This pond has a bridge onto an island in the middle where he asked for a Lamp Post. I have spoken with the NIC in great depth about this job with regards regs and distances etc.. of power & lighting in and around the pond. The problem I now face is the customer went ahead and bought this Lamp Post but even though I said we need Class II it is a Class I as he liked it! Is there a way of converting said fitting to a Class II unit. The seller didn't have a clue about this and or my customer. Is it just as easy as installing a porcelain Lamp holder or equivalent holder to the Lantern or is it more complicated than that?

Any help appreciated.

The lamppost is metal so is an exposed conductive part, class 1 equipment relies for its safety upon a satisfactory means of earthing from the equipment to the circuit protective conductors of the fixed installation.

I like the idea of ELV.

The lamp post is just on the 2 metre limit for fittings around water and thats the reason for Class II as there could be a possibility of shock. The lamp post is on a concrete slab but will have grass growing right up to it.

It may be easier to covert it to ELV.

That will depend on the distance from the TX to the lamp post, he could well end up needing a substantially larger cable than has been installed. If the TX is located within the lamp post then it still has to be treated as 230V supply...

That will depend on the distance from the TX to the lamp post, he could well end up needing a substantially larger cable than has been installed. If the TX is located within the lamp post then it still has to be treated as 230V supply...

Yes ,it all depends on the circumstances and the power he needs , thats why I said - may be easier.

Only he will know where the zones end,but that would be an option I would be looking at. without details we are just guessing.

Reply to Converting a Class I Lamp Post into Class II - Possible?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net