Discuss Cooker switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoppy

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys probably a really simple method,

but when you install a cooker switch, it is normally to the left/ right of the cooker, so do you guys put the cooker connection unit or a socket, directly below the switch in a cupboard, or do you put it behind the cooker?

If behind the cooker do you go back up the wall with the cable across and directly down behind the cooker?

Or is there something I am not thinking off to keep within the permitted wiring zones.

Thanks

Craig

just run it down from the control plate then across to the connection plate in an L shape. the cable zones extend horizontally and vertically from each point.

Not forgetting that the switch/Isolator should be a minimum of 300mm/30cm/12" what ever you understand? from the edge of the cooker and NOT above the cooker! And the cooker outlet or socket? (depending on loading of cooker) should NOT be installed in the Kitchen "cupboard" Or in the adjacent cupboard!! but on or in the wall, which may mean drilling a 75mm whole in back of cupboard to pass 13amp plug top through socket, etc etc

Not forgetting that the switch/Isolator should be a minimum of 300mm/30cm/12" what ever you understand? from the edge of the cooker and NOT above the cooker! And the cooker outlet or socket? (depending on loading of cooker) should NOT be installed in the Kitchen "cupboard" Or in the adjacent cupboard!! but on or in the wall, which may mean drilling a 75mm whole in back of cupboard to pass 13amp plug top through socket, etc etc

and go easy if its a single brick wall!! lol :)

imo it can be fitted in the base unit. i personally wouldnt, but it CAN be fitted there.

Not good pratice Gamblor6, AS KITCHEN FITTERS (FUTURE INSTALLS,CARPENTERS ETC) SHOULD BE ABLE TO MOVE CUPBOARDS/CABINETS WITH OUT EFECTING/DISCONNECTING ANY WIRING, I:E REMOVING SOCKETC ETC , INSTALLED IN FABRIC OF KITCHEN,

Not good pratice Gamblor6, AS KITCHEN FITTERS (FUTURE INSTALLS,CARPENTERS ETC) SHOULD BE ABLE TO MOVE CUPBOARDS/CABINETS WITH OUT EFECTING/DISCONNECTING ANY WIRING, I:E REMOVING SOCKETC ETC , INSTALLED IN FABRIC OF KITCHEN,

as i said i personally wouldnt, agreed its not good practice but in theory its ok.

true, kitchen fitters are quite capable of wrecking electrics without us making it easy for them.

i though kitchen fitters were fully qualified electricians!! they got part pee aint they!! lol...:)

New rules should be added to the BRB of electrical safety

1/ Under no circumstances should untrained Kitchen fitters,Plumbers and Tilers be entrusted with electrical installation work

2/ Above said trades are not permitted to continue their bad practices

3/ None of those above trades to become pee registered

4/ Any remaining pees to be booted out of schemes pronto

5/ Never again shall electrical safety be compromised by permitting an "open to anyone who thinks they can" mentality

6/ The ability to construct a kitchen cupboard or solder a joint should no longer be seen as an adequate substitute for the calculation of cable sizes and the compromising of safety or by being unable to interprit test results or even test

Is that an actual regulation mate?

Its fast becoming percieved as a new regulation, since this particular "guidance", made its appearance in that green book I posess, with the wrapping paper still on it :)

Reply to Cooker switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net