Discuss Gas cooker plug and socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sam851

DIY
Reaction score
I have just had my kitchen redone and the kitchen rewired with a new 6mm cable installed for an electric cooker.
However I have changed my mind and now will be installing an all gas cooker instead of an electric cooker.

The gas cooker comes with a plug for the hob lighter and oven light, however there is no dedicated socket for for me to plug this socket into behind the cooker.

My electrician wants to run a 2.5mm cable from the 6mm cooker outlet plate to supply a single socket for the cooker plug.

Is this ok to do or not?

or would it be better to run then supply from the kitchen ring circuit (above the worktops).

So its ok for 6mm cable to be wired directly into a single socket?
Yes
The 6mm cable is on a 32A RCBO. Would that need to change or not?
No. In simple terms the cable can handle the 32 amps and the fuse in the plug protects the appliance and the socket from overload.

Sticking a socket where the plate was ticks all the boxes and is what I'd probably do if everything is tiled already.
As it's slightly unusual I may stick a "cooker circuit" label on it, though it should be screamingly obvious what has happened.

or would it be better to run then supply from the kitchen ring circuit (above the worktops).
To my thinking this is better if it's still possible, as if you want a gas hob in future with electric oven there's provision there without messing around again. But it's not as if any irreversible work has been done.

My electrician wants to run a 2.5mm cable from the 6mm cooker outlet plate to supply a single socket for the cooker plug.

Is this ok to do or not?
This wouldn't be first choice for several reasons. Elaborating would start world war 3 so I won't.

Its the first time i'm using this electrician and its a complete rewire. I would prefer it to be done 'as best practice' as opposed to what is 'easy but acceptable.' So that's why I wanted a second opinion.

Ok thanks.

On a separate note, all the circuits are on RCBO's including the lighting circuit and the emergency lighting circuit. The electrician was going to connect them to their own RCBO's. Was I correct in suggesting to him that they should both be connected to the same RCBO. So if the lighting fails and trips the RCBO this would trigger the emergency lighting to come on.

Yes the emergency lighting if non maintained should operate upon failure of the general lighting. This should not have required separate circuits the emergency lighting should have been incorporated into the lighting circuit. From the cooker scenario I suspect they have no clue with regard to emergency lighting. Is this a commercial site.

Its a converted flat. non-maintained lights.
But is it ok that they are on separate circuits but both on the same RCBO?
I would have thought they would need to be on separate circuits so that the EL can be tested in isolation with a key test switch, without compromising the lighting circuit.

They need to put in a suitable test facility. This should have been part of the design putting in two separate circuits suggests they are not competent to be installing emergency lighting.

Reply to Gas cooker plug and socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net