Discuss Cross your fingers for me in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got a call from the rep of my main wholesaler today saying he had recommended me to one of his customers. They asked him if he knew any reliable electrician's that would be happy to quote for their work. He very kindly put me forward, I then met the customer today he is a really nice guy. The company is pretty large with 100+ staff and apparently have 2 maintenance electricians, but sub out all the installation work.
We got on as soon as we met, he gave me a quick tour of the site and said they would let me quote the 1st chance they could. Got a call at teatime asking me to go in tomorrow morning to quote for my 1st job. Also during the meeting this morning the guy I am dealing with told me he spent 50 k in the last 12mths with the other contractor.
So please guy's keep everything crossed for me tonight.
It may not lead to anything but then again!

Sounds promising to me. Even if you only get the odd job or two, YOU then can demonstrate your competence - which is always the best way. Why is he looking around ?

Cheers Guy's

Sounds promising to me. Even if you only get the odd job or two, YOU then can demonstrate your competence - which is always the best way. Why is he looking around ?

Cheers murdoch I think the reaoning behind it is he has a few issues with the guy he is using, not work wise but apparently his bills seem to be getting higher for the same jobs.
I am sure it is all labour pricing quotes, as they buy most of their own materials.
He just said he wanted to share the work between us both which also creates a better support network for his company, rahter than all his eggs in 1 basket.
but it seems a well laid out factory! all laddder tray above and proper service posts down to the machines and work benches.
They seem to always be altering lights and moving and replacing machines, so hopefully could be a lucrative contract.

Cheers murdoch I think the reaoning behind it is he has a few issues with the guy he is using, not work wise but apparently his bills seem to be getting higher for the same jobs.
I am sure it is all labour pricing quotes, as they buy most of their own materials.
He just said he wanted to share the work between us both which also creates a better support network for his company, rahter than all his eggs in 1 basket.
but it seems a well laid out factory! all laddder tray above and proper service posts down to the machines and work benches.
They seem to always be altering lights and moving and replacing machines, so hopefully could be a lucrative contract.
If the other chaps prices are going up then it probably means he's got more work on than he needs, and hence why he's upped his rates as he's less fussy about this work. Sharing it with ANOTHER could be good for you too, as you don't want too many eggs in the same basket.

If the other chaps prices are going up then it probably means he's got more work on than he needs, and hence why he's upped his rates as he's less fussy about this work. Sharing it with ANOTHER could be good for you too, as you don't want too many eggs in the same basket.

That's exactly what i thought Murdoch, I already have some large companies on my books as well as quite a few small family firms and it is all repeat work, so between them all they keep me fairly busy.
Also one other good bit of info i picked up was that the production guy i met, is usually all about the cheapest price where as the maintenance guys want the job doing right! and I think they get to call their preferred contractor in, which was the guy that rang me tonight. I will owe the Rep a drink as he kept pushing the point about how i cared about my workmanship, which may be what gets me in there.

Best of luck, hope it goes well. Make sure the rep gets a drink too, may be a good source of future work.

Yeah will do mate and to be fair this is the 3rd customer he as recommended me too in the last 3 months, Apparently i am one of their best customers at the minute in the sense of how i have grown within the last 18 months and he knows how much i care about doing the job right.

Good Luck....Dont put all your eggs in one basket as someone else said.

I have never done that mate like i said i have quite a large variety of customers from small to large and i treat them all with the same respect and importance.

I really hope you get some good work out of it and I don't want to sound like the harbinger of doom but just make sure he doesn't use you for 'cover quotes' or merely use your quotes as a haggling tool to get his regular electrician to drop his prices. Good luck.

I really hope you get some good work out of it and I don't want to sound like the harbinger of doom but just make sure he doesn't use you for 'cover quotes' or merely use your quotes as a haggling tool to get his regular electrician to drop his prices. Good luck.

Cheers Marvo and yes i know what you mean, I think i will go in with an open mind and get whatever work i can get and take it a job at a time.

Reply to Cross your fingers for me in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net