Discuss Currys (do they really know how) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sedgy34

So just recently had a new range master dual fuel (very old one packed up) 2 guys turn up to install (bare in mind they have walked passed my van on the drive fully sign written)

whilst one chap testing the gas the other telling me how he's doing rewires etc and bungs his mate £60 to sign off for him, so I said well your about to test this appliance who's testing that the guy doing the gas test? Yes he's testing that too he says.
so in conversation he's aware of part p changes and 3rd party, I mentioned how many £60s he's bunging his mate to sign off his jobs why don't you just get accredited etc? Yeh thought about it but don't need to so not bothered as he was paying building control £240 a time before.
so cooker installed tests carried out were
1, voltage test
2,loop test
3,rcd tests
4,insulation tests at oven
& the gas test (dual fuel oven)
I asked not doing a Ze or r1r2 then? What are they was the answer I got so I explained and they said oh no we are not allowed you have to be part p for that. Lol

They have no idea as they refused to fit an oven and gas hob saying there was the old unit were both going into the same connector box ? so the customer called me where I fitted a double socket as both the gas hob and oven had plug tops on them fine.

So customer told Curry's who then called me asking why I fitted the twin socket next to the CCU outlet and did I know what I was doing I explained that the cooker circuit was on a 32 amp breaker and that the old set up meant that the hob ignitor and oven were being protected by a 32A mcb but the new set up they would be protected by a 3A & 13A fuses. When he said again are you sure and are you a qualified electrician and was I Part P then the penny dropped and I said I take it your based in England then tell you what email me the qualifications of your spark needless to say I am still waiting.

Customer called to say the fitter came in and sorted it out plus he was chuffed as he did not have to wait for the spark

Duel fuel int that wood and coal??? You don't need a cert for that duya ...... id be ringing currys up and having a harsh word with the management.

I still can't understand why they are asking for all the test results. Currys sell appliances and that is it.

You are missing a point here as there is a low turnover on electrical goods but you can make more money selling extended warranties and having a "Bespoke" fitting service so say the make £20 profit on a washing machine but will charge £80 to fit the new one and take away the old one because they are their anyway plus another £15 for delivery and they will make £60 profit so it can be a good bit of business for them.

Also to you and me fitting a WM is a scoosh but some Joe Public cannot even fit a plug top

All they use to do about 20 years ago was a loop test at the outlet being used. In the case of an appliance with a plug top and the loop reading was high, they would notify you of it, and leave it uncommisioned and tell you use at your own risk.

I think the ammended part "P" regs have included the installation of a new cooker? But with the case of replacing an accessory, and or not extendng a cable, or replacing a section of a cable in a circuit, in the case of disconnecting and reconnecting a cooker. Surely this comes under maintenance not requiring in depth testing, but only a visual with reccomendations for remedials observed from non compliances/departures?

Afterall, if it was an ECIR, after dismantling, you would just recconnect it any way and note the departures on the form. But the fact that your are connecting a new appliance, you become responsible for any losses arising from exisiting bad wiring. But in the case of replacing an accessory, there's no requirement for remedial action?

I've not done any domestic work for a while only commercial and industrial, so I'll stand corrected if my understanding of the requirements of the ammendment isn't correct?

You are missing a point here as there is a low turnover on electrical goods but you can make more money selling extended warranties and having a "Bespoke" fitting service so say the make £20 profit on a washing machine but will charge £80 to fit the new one and take away the old one because they are their anyway plus another £15 for delivery and they will make £60 profit so it can be a good bit of business for them.

Also to you and me fitting a WM is a scoosh but some Joe Public cannot even fit a plug top
yep...its called `upselling`....
why have the basic service when you can have the dogs...

by the way its usually a con as well

Reply to Currys (do they really know how) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net