Discuss Customer/price moan!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have to say it's not down to us as the sparks to decide what a customer HAS to have....if they want a new circuit then in 99% of cases there's a way to add this to the existing install without changing the board. You're not making the install any worse. As long as we're very specific about what we've done on the certs then all's well. Personally, I work to make a living, not to single-handedly improve all electrics in the universe. :)

usually, if there are 2 or more circuits to be worked on that need an RCD, I'll try to get the customer to agree to a new consumer unit. Otherwise as Kingeri said upgrade just what is needed and be specific.

usually, if there are 2 or more circuits to be worked on that need an RCD, I'll try to get the customer to agree to a new consumer unit. Otherwise as Kingeri said upgrade just what is needed and be specific.

So are you suggesting you will install without RCD protection even if the regs call for them?

I have to agree with the ones saying that a board change for one circuit is a bit much to expect the customer to do. I would explain all different options to them. Like a small separate board for the new circuit. I wouldn't get much work if I kept telling all my customers that I need to change their board to add 1 circuit. They would think I am ripping them off and looking for work

So are you suggesting you will install without RCD protection even if the regs call for them?
That's not how I read what he wrote. I take it he meant if there were 2 or more new circuits needing RCD protection then he would tell the customer they need a board change 1 circuit he would fit a small separate RCD board

The last update of the regs, at the discussion stage, included the designers discression not to insist on RCD's - and clearly if a house doesn't have any RCD's it does seem more than excessive to install RCD's and/or a new board.

It would seem those making the final decision clearly thought otherwise and all this did was to demonstrate how out of touch those individuals really are.

with a bit of careful planning a cooker circuit can be installed in surface trunking relatively neatly and forgo the need for a rcd altogether.
seriously , some folk shouldnt be in this game if they cant assess different wiring options properly

with a bit of careful planning

Which is where a lot of jobs/quotes/sparks fall down. There's little or no planning or forethought involved, just the OSG and RCD mantra quoted as if it's the only option. It seems more and more tradesmen quote from a book rather than have a chat with the customer to see what they want and what the budget is.

..... There's little or no planning or forethought involved, just the OSG and RCD mantra quoted as if it's the only option.

ironically , when interpreted properly , the regs give many , many options for not having to fit rcd's , the only exception being bathroom circuits.

That's not how I read what he wrote. I take it he meant if there were 2 or more new circuits needing RCD protection then he would tell the customer they need a board change 1 circuit he would fit a small separate RCD board

Thanks Hawk81 that's exactly what I meant. As I do a lot of kitchen work, I find that most customers wouldn't be happy with mini trunking on show in their expensive new kitchen. But equally they don't all like the idea of an "Extra" £300 to pay that they hadn't planned on.
Les

Custome / price moan ???

Isn't this what customers do ?

Isn't it what we ALL do when we are customers at the sparky's merchants ?

Why should your customers be any different ?

Reply to Customer/price moan!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net