Discuss Cylinder stat and pump wiring in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Norn Iron

Hi Guys

Need some help on a Shed/Workshop heating system, haven't really done much work on heating systems. Basically there is a wood burning fire, a cylinder and a pump. The way they want this wired is that the cylinder stat does it normal job of when it reaches its temp it brings the pump on, but they also want the pump to have a switch so that they can turn it on when they want too.

If anybody can help with this it would be very much appreciated or even if somebody had a wiring diagram they could forward on would help me out big time.

Thanks

That could be done by bringing the supply through a 3 position switch. This would give you the option of having the pump either permantly on permantly off or automatically on via the cylinder stat.

Thanks Sintra so would i just take my supply into this and bring the cylinder stat and pump flexs to this switch aswell? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but like I said have never wired this sort of system before!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a back boiler heating the cylinder?
If so, how do you disperse the heat when the pump is not running? (stop it boiling)

Boydy

If so, how do you disperse the heat when the pump is not running? (stop it boiling)

Boydy

Hi Boydy yeah its a back boiler, My understanding is that the pump will run when the cylinder stat reaches the cut out temp and pump the heat round, But they also want it so that they can switch the pump on whenever they want to I dont know why but am also unsure how to wire this correctly!

Am I right in thinking that this is gonna need wired like an ordinary heating system as it is fed by a log burner back boiler and there are 6 radiators on the system?

heating system in a shed workshop

Hi everyone
Need some help with this one (not much experience in heating systems) Basically there is a big shed workshop that has a log burning fire (back boiler) feeding 6 radiators and hot water, there is a cylinder and a pump. They want it so that the when the cylinder reaches temp the pump kicks in. They also want it so that they can turn the pump on themselves whenever they want so that they don't always have to wait on the cylinder stat to work. Can this be done? Look forward to your replies

Thanks

Little control panel with some simple relays away enough,
Manual switch to run the pump and then have a thermostat to control the pump should be simple really

Im no expert by any means and have only done something similar a few times. Each occasion taking advice from the heating engineer.
The excess heat from the back boiler needs somewhere to go.
Remember this is not gas or oil that you can switch off (the heat).
A stat needs to go on the boiler outflow and brings on your pump with its permanent feed.
At least one of your rads needs 2 lockshield valves (no thermostatic and no wheel heads. Customer must not be able to turn this off)) to remain open and receive/disperse the heat, ideally a heated towel rail with a rad in the middle.

You should really post this in our heating wiring section or a solid fuel engineers forum.

Good luck

Boydy

Boydy

On a wood burning system usually either one of the radiators or the feed to the hot water system is installed with no shut off valves. This is usually designed so water will circulate by syphon so even with the pump off, it will not overheat. In addition a pipe stat is often fitted on the outlet to the back boiler to override any controls to ensure the pump runs if it gets too hot.

Hi Guys

Need some help on a Shed/Workshop heating system, haven't really done much work on heating systems. Basically there is a wood burning fire, a cylinder and a pump. The way they want this wired is that the cylinder stat does it normal job of when it reaches its temp it brings the pump on, but they also want the pump to have a switch so that they can turn it on when they want too.

If anybody can help with this it would be very much appreciated or even if somebody had a wiring diagram they could forward on would help me out big time.

Thanks

Hi guys. First of all I would like to explain I am an apprentice so I hope I ain't treading on anyone's toes by giving advice as I'm still learning myself!
PICK use this site for my own training and rely on all you guys to offer me free information I need to get me along! In return I feel I really owe you all something back. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I was to wire this system I would do the following....

I would take supply into a fused switch connection unit with 3amp fuse. This would act as a double po isolation for pump or stat maintenance. This switch should always be left on at all times during normal operation. Heres where it gets complicated!! I would then take the neutral from there to the load side of a double pole switch with neon (not supply side - will explain shortly) then take a neutral from the same terminal to the pump. I would then take the live from the fused unit to the supply side of the double pole with neon and a live from the load side to the pump. That would mean the pump would work when the double pole is switched on as that completes the live circuit, and the neutral circuit constantly remains connected no matter what position switch is in.
I would then take feed for the tank stat from the supply side of double pole switch and put the switched return from stat to the load side of double pole along with live to the pump.

Result is that when tank stat calls it puts a live to load side of double pole and as there is a neutral there the neon lights every time the pump runs which gives a good indication!
If however, you want the pump to run without stat calling you can just switch on double pole, neon lights and pump runs!!

Thanks guys.

Excellent work Scott.
I would add that the first DP spur should also have a neon to show at all times supply is healthy (spur fuse 3amp), since it is critical to stop boiling (gravity circuit to a hot water cylinder as previous poster suggested would help but that then has the potential to get seriously hot without its own control).
My opinion only........non rcd circuit for this.
Also possible is to do the whole thing in a gridswitch multi. IE 2 colour neons, switch and fuse module.

Boydy

Re: heating system in a shed workshop

Hi Norn Iron,

You have a very similar thread running here so I've closed this one to avoid confusion.

Cheers
Marv.

Reply to Cylinder stat and pump wiring in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net