Discuss Dangers from the neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can't decide if I'm being overly paranoid but I just like the idea of double pole isolation.

Single pole RCBO's just don't seem right to me but then I am a bit of a novice so maybe I am worrying about nothing.

I have trawled through the regs and I believe that only 1 pole protection is required.
However 2 pole isolation IS required in the regs.

Why do you think this is?
Why is double pole isolation necessary?

Is it because of the potential danger within the domestic installation arising from shared or crossed neutrals or is it because of some danger from outside of the installation, a potential danger imported from the network by not isolating the neutral?
If that makes sense?

Why is double pole isolation necessary when single pole circuit breakers are said to be safe?

As you can see my knowledge of the network is very limited.

Thanks.

Last edited:
In a TT system, the N is not considered to be tied to true enough E, so you must 2 pole isolate.
In a TN system, you must isolate all live conductors is unskilled persons are likely to work on the install basicallt.
Check in the old red book, regs group 537.

Double pole isolation is required, to guard against reverse polarity.
It is also guards against a difference in potential where there is a high resistance between the earth and the neautral.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Dangers from the neutral in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone, When checking my consumer unit voltages with the full board off, I stumbled across something head scratching. Measuring the feed...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the WT Henley Series 8 house service cutout. I have one of these installed at my house and...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all, I have been asked to look at a problem with a bolted neutral but no one seems to know what exactly is the problem. SSE...
Replies
Views
Went back it a house after they upgraded shower to a 9.8kw, pulling 40a constant. We had wired it with 10sq and 40a RCBO. 10sq Neutral cable...
Replies
Views
M
Hi Guys I purchased some of the above online around 3 weeks ago, They are a fairly new product, very usefull as you can change both colour from...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock