Discuss DC powered ceiling fan clunking and random behavior in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Trying to ascertain why a DC MinkaAire fan (84") will no longer change speeds, or in some cases even start itself in the lowest setting speed.

I have replaced the receiver/controller on the fan (U shaped PCB), but the new one did not resolve the issue.

I can get the fan to run consistently on Speed 1, but only after spinning it a bit by hand. And, sometimes I can get it to run on 2 or 3, occasionally on 6, even (not often). Most times shifting from 1 to 2-6 is only met with repetitive clunking as it spins down, but in all cases as long as I don't let it stop, it will return to Speed 1.

MinkaAire, true to their reputation, ----ed out "it's the receiver," but would assist no further except saying "go buy a new fan."

It's only three years old - a beautiful piece of work - but, silly to just throw away.

Thoughts of options - and, or how to troubleshoot? (there isn't much to troubleshoot since it is brushless, right?)

Thanks!

I have replaced the receiver/controller on the fan
Hi is this "smart"? Not wired to a manual wall controller right?

Check the wiring that goes to the motor and the mains supply, and that the control board is supplying the right voltage, apparently it's not if it can't start by itself. Oh and make sure it's not a thick dust buildup preventing it to spin.
You can troubleshoot a PCB with only a multimeter.

----
Don't like anything marketed as smart myself, built to fail only after a couple years... with the right knowledge you could de-smartify and rewire it if the motor still works fine. Circuit shouldn't be too complicated.
AC fans for me. We have a 72" in the dining room and smaller ones for the bedrooms, all made in the 80s, no maintenance at all on any of them except for the usual blade cleaning.

Hi is this "smart"? Not wired to a manual wall controller right?

Check the wiring that goes to the motor and the mains supply, and that the control board is supplying the right voltage, apparently it's not if it can't start by itself. Oh and make sure it's not a thick dust buildup preventing it to spin.
You can troubleshoot a PCB with only a multimeter.

----
Don't like anything marketed as smart myself, built to fail only after a couple years... with the right knowledge you could de-smartify and rewire it if the motor still works fine. Circuit shouldn't be too complicated.
AC fans for me. We have a 72" in the dining room and smaller ones for the bedrooms, all made in the 80s, no maintenance at all on any of them except for the usual blade cleaning.
Hi Carolina and thanks.

This is a remote controlled, six speed DC fan ... Minka Aire 84".

Two videos - first of the fan on speed 1 (I can always get it back to speed 1), and then when I select speed 6 from speed 1. Normal ops it simply speeds up to the sixth speed - I have a back porch fan exactly like this one and it has always worked flawlessly.

The accelerating sound seems like something is spinning faster, but the blade assembly is not ...

Attachments

• IMG_2980.MOV
    2.9 MB
  • IMG_2981.MOV
    9.8 MB

Reply to DC powered ceiling fan clunking and random behavior in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net